Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

PENDULUM OR PINS?

Old 06-11-2004, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PENDULUM OR PINS?

Been bowhunting for about 22yr. And hunted from a tree mostly 20-25ft up.shot a pedulum sight for about 15yr and i have had good luck using these type sight`s. bought a new bow this year. just need a little help on the in`s and out`s to these sight`s.Thought about pin`s this yr?
Old 06-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PENDULUM OR PINS?

i think this is something you have to decide for yourself. if you are going to be shooting 3-d or going to bow shoots, you will need pins or at least a pendulum with a pin for ground shooting. i personally would probably go to a pendulum but i shoot a lot from the ground. a pendulum is a nice sight though to use for hunting only.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:33 PM

Check out the Cobra Pedulum, I think it is the best on the market right now. A pedulum works just fine on the ground up to 25 or 30 yards. You need to practice shooting with just one pin if you are going to be effective using it on the graoud. I use nothing but pendulums but also only hunt from tree stands.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the pendulems where good back in the days of 200 fps bows.Today,I see absolutley no need for them.With proper form,if you bend at the waist and shoot a fast bow,you will get no advantage using a pendulem.I used a savage pendulem max and a Trophy ridge mantis about a month ago.There was no difference from beneath my treestand out to 32 yards between those two sights and a HHA 5000.The only thing you pick up using a pendulem is some extra noise(atually the savage was pretty quiet).I used all three side by side and couldn't see any advantage from a pendulem.Just bend at your waist.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:39 AM

I do think pendulums work and work well. I have used a Preditor IV for 5-6 years now and have had no problems. It is quiet, bright and from 15-25 feet up I can shoot from 0-38 yards dead on! One pin no quessing! I shoot a new bow doing 265-270fps and do 99% of my hunting from a tree.
I have a fixed pin sight that I shoot for most of the year but come August 15 on go's the pendulum and if I know I will be hunting on the ground I put the fixed pin sight back on!
Old 06-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I concur with DougE almost word for word. I shot several pendelum sights and fixed pin sights from my bows with almost identical results out to 30+ yards. This with bows shooting about 250-260fps. The pendelum went back in the drawer to get sold,

And I like the OL-5000 myself for hunting. And yes, proper form is what it's about. Bend atr the waist.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:07 PM

I use a scout mountain pendulum sight and my bow shoots 250-253 fps. I also agree that out to a certain yardage there is no difference if your form is correct. Howver I also do not agree that a bow shooting 250-260 is getting it done like a pendulum at say 30-35 yards. A bow shooting 300 fps is not dead nuts at 15 yards and dead nuts at 32 yards...it just doesnt happen not with one pin anyway!
Old 06-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm shooting an lx at 299 fps.I have it sighted dead on at about 26-28 yards.Aiming dead on I will hit a four inch circle from point blank range out to 32 yards.That means I'll hit within 2 inches from where I'm aiming almost directly underneath my stand out to a little over 30 yards.Thirty yards is my max range so I'm good with a single pin.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Unless I'm missing something, DougE must be sighting his bow in while he's elevated. I'm no expert but I don't see how you can sight in a single pin sight standing on the ground and then climb 30 feet up in a tree and have the impact be the same, no matter how fast your bow is? If this isn't true I'd appreciate it if someone would explain this to me, I must not be shooting fast enough (high 280's to low 290's) for it to work. That is where I see a benefit to a pendelum, sighting in on the ground and climbing an unknown distance and having the sight compensate for the height difference. What am I missing?

Gordon

Quick Reply: PENDULUM OR PINS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.