Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Who thinks Mathews is over rated. >

Who thinks Mathews is over rated.

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Who thinks Mathews is over rated.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who thinks Mathews is over rated.

i dont think they are over rated, i don't think they are over advertised, but i do think they are over priced as with all bows just because we continue to pay the prices they want for the bow.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:32 AM

I for one don't think that Mathews is overrated, or that they over advertise. I hear guys cry all the time that Mathews bows cost soooo much, gimme a break. In reality they are the same as Hoyt, Bowtech and the other top end companies. I shoot and love my Mathews and havn't had a single problem with a Mathews ever. Mathews isn't the best or the magic cure all for bad shooting. Mathews is a bow line that has built it's reputation on QUALITY.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:39 AM

I have ran into some recent problems with my Q2 and was just wondering what type of customer service they have? Do I think they are overpriced? Yes. Are they overrated? Yes. But so are alot of other bows.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:11 AM

I think Mathews makes an excellent bow.I will give then than and for that reason I do not think they are overrated.
Let's look at advertising next. Too much, too little? I think it's great, the company knows it has great products and they want to push them. So long as advertising dosn't effect price, more power to them. This brings us to price.
I truly believe that Mathews is riding their comsumers wallets. There is no reason that a good quality bow should cost in excess of $700.00.IMO But I guess as long as people are willing to fork it over we will be seeing Mathers centerfolds in all of our favorite hunting mags.[:'(]
Old 05-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

In reality, I think all of the top name bows are overpriced. It's ridiculous to pay $700 plus for a bare bow, but as long as we keep doing it, it ain't gonna change. [>:] I think for the most part, Mathews puts out a quality product, but I do think that a lot of archers that are not as experienced as "us" fall into their advertising bit and buy a Mathews because it is a name that they hear a lot. You can't open any hunting mag today and not see a multi page Mathews ad. If that is their intent, then they are getting their money's worth out of their advertising budget. They probably sell a lot of bows due to their advertising strategy.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually any bow over $400.00 is way over priced.

Compare a bow to a rifle. How much does an average rifle cost, $500.00?

Compare the tolerances between the two. Actually there is no comparison. A bow is just down right sloppy compared to a rifle. A barrel stays within a tolerance of +- .0003" for a standard barrel and even closer on air gagued match barrels +-.0001". Head space is kept within .005".

Compare the manufacturing process. A barrel and receiver goes through a heck of a lot more processes than a bows riser does.

Compare the materials used. Aluminum riser and glass or carbon glass limbs compared to billet steel or investment cast steel.

Compare the heat treating a rifle goes through to no heat treating for a bow.

Compare the forces that each keep under control. 45,000 to 65,000 psi and up to 4,200 fps compared to what, a couple hundred pounds of force at the very most. Probably not even that much.

Bottom line is that most all bows are a total rip off.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

think that they're all overpriced but If that's the bow you choose then I guess you are gonna have to put out the price that they demand. On the other hand I'm sure you won't be doing any squacking when your shooting it .I'm not gonna run any of these bow's down because they're all quality made bow's .The BowTech just happen's to be my choice. For these bow's to be as popular as they all are then you have to advertise like H... and anyone who own's one may not like the price they paid but they did pay it . I don't feel any are over rated either, Quality bow's for quality buck's that's just how it goes.

nubo
Old 05-24-2004, 08:12 PM

Even though I shoot a Bowtech, I think Matthews makes a nice product. I do think some of their advertising is misleading though. The reason they have so many tournament wins is that they pay the most to the guys shooting their bows. But they won't tell you that part. And then some guy new to the sport reads that and thinks "wow, look at all those tournament wins, they must be the best" without even considering any other alternative.

In all honesty it is brilliant marketing. As a business owner, I can tell you, savvy marketing plays a BIG part of building a sucessful business, even though you may not have the best product.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally don't think they are over rated or over priced. They are the same as the other two "big" companies price wise. I think the quality is sound as well. I just don't like them all that much personally. My real guff with them is their advertising tactics. Attacking other companies is kinda childish if you ask me. Just make a product better than the others and let the bows do the talking. But, then again, the bow industry is a cut throat market. Eat or be eaten it seems.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually any bow over $400.00 is way over priced.

Compare a bow to a rifle. How much does an average rifle cost, $500.00?

Compare the tolerances between the two. Actually there is no comparison. A bow is just down right sloppy compared to a rifle. A barrel stays within a tolerance of +- .0003" for a standard barrel and even closer on air gagued match barrels +-.0001". Head space is kept within .005".

Compare the manufacturing process. A barrel and receiver goes through a heck of a lot more processes than a bows riser does.

Compare the materials used. Aluminum riser and glass or carbon glass limbs compared to billet steel or investment cast steel.

Compare the heat treating a rifle goes through to no heat treating for a bow.

Compare the forces that each keep under control. 45,000 to 65,000 psi and up to 4,200 fps compared to what, a couple hundred pounds of force at the very most. Probably not even that much.

Bottom line is that most all bows are a total rip off.
i couldn't agree more. very well said

Quick Reply: Who thinks Mathews is over rated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.