Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Bowtech choice..need input >

Bowtech choice..need input

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bowtech choice..need input

Old 05-03-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Bowtech choice..need input

I am thinking about getting a new Bowtech and I am really at odds over what to do. I really like the 2004 Liberty, but I was offered a extreme VTF 2003 for about $179 less. what should I do? If anyone has shot both bows please give me the pro's and con's on both.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:55 PM

Default RE: Bowtech choice..need input

Greatdane,

Lets see, I own a 2004 Liberty and my best friend owns a 2003 Ex-VFT, so I think I can help.

Lets see..... in my opinion, the Liberty is a smoother drawing bow. The draw force curve is more rounded and you feel like you are pulling less weight than you actually are. The EX-VFT has a great draw cycle, especially for the speed, but it isn't as smooth!

The Ex-VFT is faster than the Liberty by a good bit. My best friend is shooting his at 28", and set at 63#, with a fully loaded string, and 27.5" Gold Tip XT Camo Hunter 55/75's at around 265-270 f.p.s., while I am shooting my Liberty at 29.5" draw, 71#, fully loaded string, and a 405 grain arrow will go 281, while a 430 grain arrow will go 275 f.p.s.

Recoil, The Liberty has the Ex-VFT beat, but not by much at all. Both bows sit dead still the whole way through the shot. The Ex-VFT has a slight vibration in the grip after the shot, and the Liberty does also, but the Libertys vibration is immediately removed.

Noise... The Liberty slightly beats out the Ex-VFT. Both are plenty quiet, and with good accessories, they will both absolutely amaze you.

Price...... The Ex-Vft is cheaper. My best friend got his brand new, before the 04's came out, and he paid $579.00, while I got my 04 Liberty for $649.95

Camo...... The 04 Mossy Oak Obsession looks better in my opinion, but that is just a personal preferance.

Shootability...... The Liberty is a good bit more forgiving than the Ex-VFT, but, I must say, the Ex-VFT is one heck of a good shooter, and it feels like it has a much bigger brace height than it does. I havn't noticed any arm slap at all when shooting it. The Liberty does have a bigger brace but that isn't why I feel it is a good bit more forgiving. The reason I believe this is because the draw cycle is so much smoother that your arms will not fatigue nearly as fast, and it will help you hold more steady for longer periods of time.

Differances...... The only real major differance between the two is that the Liberty has pivoting limb pocks (besides the cam). The Pivoting Limb pockets are a very nice feature, but definetly not the most important.

As far as accuracy goes, both bows are great, and perform better than the shooter. I am getting amazng groups out to 50 yards with my Liberty, and my best friend has Robinhooded with his EX-VFT at 45 yards!

I hope this helped, now I gotta go put my fingers on ice
Old 05-05-2004, 07:22 PM

I just wanted to thank-you for the time you put into the response as it is very helpful in making my decision.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:36 PM

Greatdane,
I can not speak for the Extreme, but I have a new Liberty. I looked at the Pat, and Liberty. The Liberty was just soooo smooth! It's by far the best bow I have ever owned. I'm not a speed freak, so an IBO of 300-308 was plenty for what I want to do with it (deer hunt). If you shoot 3D as well, the extra fps would come in handy. You may want to try posting this in the Technical forum. You may get a better response there. Good Luck!
Old 05-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

greatdane ! I am a speed freak and this is why I went with the new 2004 BowTech Patriot dually,But I also like the Liberty .I would go with the Liberty if I was using it soley for hunting,but since i do both this is why I chose the Dually. I have shot the Extreme VFT and it is a very nice bow .
Good luck with choosing and I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice.

nubo
Old 05-06-2004, 10:52 AM

I have an 03 patriot dually and it is awesome lots of speed and accurate to boot even had a guy try to trade me a new razortech for it, but in my mind and with my short draw I can't see a better hunting bow so this one is staying with me. Save the money and buy an 03 that way you can purchase more accesories.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

BUY A MATHEWS .

MATHEWS CATCH US IF YOU CAN
Old 05-07-2004, 08:23 PM

Mathews? Catch what?- their advertising spend[:-][:-]??

Who is winning all the tournements? THATS RIGHT- GET yourself a XTEC
Old 05-09-2004, 03:49 AM
Fork Horn

I have to agree with what Buck Magnet said.I have shot both bows and they both have something to bring to the table. These 2 bows are polar oppositts in my opinion.

The EX - VFT is made for speed. It is probablly the fatest singal cam bow on the market. I sometimes wish I would have bought this bow instead of my patriot.

The Liberty is made to be in the same class as the LX and Hoyt's. Very smooth and forgiving, somthing you could shoot with your eyes closed.

If you are seriously thinking about an EXT - VFT Look at the '04's. Around the KC area they are running about $100 + cheaper than the Liberty's. I am not sure but the '04 EXT - VFT may have the pivioting limb pockets and that is what sold me on the 04' pariot. but check out the '04s before you make a decsion.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

WHAT? WHO IS WINNING THE TOURNAMENTS ? MATHEWS IS ADD THEM UP, WHAT WORLD YOU LIVING IN ? I SHOT THE HOYT ITS NOT MY STYLE AND ITS NOT HALF AS SMOOTH AS THE OUTBACK,, COME ON YOU CANT BE FOR REAL WITH THIS POST.

Quick Reply: Bowtech choice..need input

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.