Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Do you stalk or wait:blind/tree stand >

Do you stalk or wait:blind/tree stand

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Do you stalk or wait:blind/tree stand

Old 02-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you stalk or wait:blind/tree stand

What have you found to be more succesfull?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:59 AM

Default RE: Do you stalk or wait:blind/tree stand

Stalking (still-hunting) is best left to the very patient and skilled still-hunter. The deer will always have the advantage. The deer can see your movement long before you might see them. If you are not directly downwind from the deer, you may be moving your scent to them when you still-hunt.

Your gear and your attire must be applicable to moving through the terrain with as much comfort and ease as possible. Often this requires that you dress and equip light to reduce fatigue and perspiring. In cold weather, you will often be cold when remaining stationary for periods. Your footwear should be light. Therefore, the insulating rating will be gauged on moving, not stationary.

When I totally shot recurve, I still-hunted often. It is tough and often unproductive. I have good success using stationary ground positions and natural ground blinds.

I still move on the ground at times, but only to move to what I know to be areas the deer will move through during different periods of the day. However, I will only do so when the wind is in my favor and I have totally glassed the area I will be moving through and to.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

for me it is waiting in a tree stand
Old 02-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Love my ground blind no more trees![8D]
Old 02-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Treestands, been thinking of getting a blind, just dont have confiedence in them.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt mostly by deer stand. I bought a ground tent blind last year and tryed it but I had a hard time shooting out of it. You can not sit in a chair and shoot, you can only be sitting on your knees and feet. I had a little trouble shooting in that position. The shooting holes are to low to the ground. If you guys have any good ideas let me know.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:14 PM

Here in Oregon, the achery season is open for both deer and elk at the same time.
I usally am hunting elk most of the time, during the rut. Deer (mule deer) come as a bonus.
I spot and stalk, or set up on the ground by a water hole or by a well used game trail.
Camo
Old 02-29-2004, 10:52 PM

Out here in the northwest, I tend to call, listen, walk and stalk. Also use my nose, as you can smell them rank bulls, alot of times, before you hear them or see them...
Old 03-01-2004, 06:26 AM

Stalk, put your hunting skills to the test.

I get too bored sitting in a tree.
The only time I have tried a ground blind I fell asleep.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Considering my size, my lack of patience and the area I hunt I have found both treestands and ground blinds to work very well for me. It depends specifically on the situation at hand.

Quick Reply: Do you stalk or wait:blind/tree stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.