Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Scorpion XP broadhead?

Old 11-26-2003, 08:16 AM

Default Scorpion XP broadhead?

Has anyone tried this broadhead. I tried posting this question under fixed vs mech but I guess people are tired of viewing that thread. This seems as though it would be a better option than the Spitfire. Anyone used this one or have any thoughts on it? Thanks!

TBO
Old 11-30-2003, 07:04 PM

Default RE: Scorpion XP broadhead?

I don' t know about the Scorpion first hand but I have read a few post by Shockwave users that switched to Scorpions this year and were disappointed with the bloodtrails .......by comparision. From what I remember ......the penetration was very good though.

To be honest.........the only difference I see between the Scorpion and Shockwave is the tip. I have been a big Spitfire fan for the last few years and decided after reading so many good things about Shockwaves that I would try them this season.
I have shot two deer this year and recovered both.........but the first one hit bone and bent the ferrule and the one I got tonight couldn' t have been a better shot and I got a descent bloodtrail .....but nothing to get excited about. The exit holes are just not what a Spitfire will give you !

I really haven' t ever seen bloodtrail' s like I get with the Spitfires.........and I have never damaged one either (out of about 7-8 deer). I think these Shockwaves work good..........but Spitfires are still on top of my list (but I do shoot 70# of KE ) !!
Old 11-30-2003, 07:31 PM

Bow hunting and blood trails go hand to hand but hunters need to realize almost all the blood come out of the mouth. Even when you pass through the game the body holes are drops most of the time, and great blood trails are lung hits and the game sprays the blood out from its face.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:57 AM

Wolf Dog........I have killed 16 deer with a bow so far and watched many go down in sight ..........and most of the blood I have seen has been blowing out of the holes in their lungs until they get weak and stop........then it starts running out of their nose and mouth and then they go down. That' s usually why you see blood sprayed on both sides of a trail and then a ton of blood where the deer is laying.

Just my $.02 !!
Old 12-01-2003, 02:24 PM

I do not want to get on the bad side of any fellow hunter, but you can’t fight the laws of physics and the animal direct link in getting air into the lungs is the mouth. When damage happens to the pump station the lung or what’s left of the lungs begin to fill with blood and not air, so in order for the game to try and get air in blood is sprayed on exhale. Holes will deliver blood but not as much as people think, holes also clot and blood trails thin out and sometimes stop. But never when you take out the lungs and the key word is lungs. This is also why blood trails start getting real heavy after a few jumps of the deer. In my experience I would rather cut and do the most damage possible inside the game instead of punching out a small broadhead like 1 ¾ inches or less through both sides.
I want an overwhelming amount of lacerations to happen when the arrow is in that body to drop the game fast even when the hit is not as perfect as planed, and not a bad shot just off the mark 2-4 inches.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:00 PM

Well instead of getting into a pissing contest ........we should start a thread on the bowhunting forum ! For now though.......I think your point is interesting......but can' t agree based on my experience !! Although I may be wrong......it' s happened more than once !!