Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Carbon or Aluminum Arrows? >

Carbon or Aluminum Arrows?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Carbon or Aluminum Arrows?

Old 09-04-2019, 06:09 AM
Spike

Carbon arrows are going to be a little tougher.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really cannot say that I can agree with everyone saying that carbon arrows are stronger. In fact after last evening I will disagree.. I shot a large doe last evening and my carbon arrow broke up for some reason. It broke in three places upon hitting a large doe. The fletching flew over the top of the deer making me think it was a miss. But after a closer observation I found the shaft to the arrow laying in front of where the deer was standing covered in blood. That created a terrible time tracking her. The broadhead never went in as deep as it should of. This should have been a blow threw but was not.. I was very disappointed with that arrow and maybe it was a defective arrow I don’t know. But I have never had an aluminum arrow break up on impact..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-11-2020 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I shot a large doe last evening and my carbon arrow broke up for some reason. It broke in three places upon hitting a large doe.
It doesn't take much of a nick or flaw in the carbon shaft to compromise the integrity of the arrow. They may be stronger, but aluminum is more durable.

Last edited by Wingbone; 10-11-2020 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

its 50/50 IMO< carbon's big advantage IMO< is they don't bend or maybe should say don't HOLD shape after a bend, nor do they dent, and, there thinner in size, some folks like, some don't!

aluminum arrows been about a long time and have there loyal following, for many reasons, as do carbon

both have pro's and con's
and both can have failures , if damaged inside or out!
its all a matter of what you like IMO
and I wouldn't; say either one is more durable, as they again can both get damaged
if anything IMO< Carbons might take more abuse, there less prone IMO< to slight damages, like dents, and coming out of true!
but again, its pretty close to 50/50 on pro's and con's on both if on was totally honest about things!
Old 01-02-2022, 09:48 PM
Spike

Switched to the vector customs this year, best thing i ever did