Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Timber Tall - Baby Brute Lite >

Timber Tall - Baby Brute Lite

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Timber Tall - Baby Brute Lite

Old 10-28-2003, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Timber Tall - Baby Brute Lite

I' m looking into a nice lightweight climbing stand for next year, so i' m not in an extreme hurry. I saw that Timber Tall makes a model (Baby Brute Lite) that weighs 11 lbs.

Does anybody have any experience with this company or these stands.

It seems that this could be an ideal stand for long hikes or guys with bad backs (like myself).

Thanks for your responses.

Good Luck,
-BJ
Old 10-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Timber Tall - Baby Brute Lite

I don' t have the Baby Lite but the Legend Brute (3 lbs heavier). What I am going to say is common to all their stands and is not biased. The Baby is what you said. Great for packing a long way. Get a padded seat. The seat sucks. Just a piece of cloth over a couple straps. The leveling system on the foot portion is next to useless due to having standard threads. They need to be coarser. It can be a bit noisy while climbing, but this is remedied by taking your time and trying to be quiet in the first place. You can add a little more comfort by adding pipe insulation on the seat portion where you sit and climb, and the armrests.
All in all, it' s not a bad stand. All the little add-ons I mentioned should come as standard for the price. Just too much money for what you get,
I recently bought a Summit Viper XLS. A bit more weight but much more stand for the money. No pins or bolts to play with to hook up to the tree. Quieter and more stable, both climbing and in position. Much, much better seat. Less money--but included in the price is an SOP (one of the best) safety harness ($50 sold separately). Nobody else even supplies a decent harness let alone one of the best. So subtract this $50 from the price and you get the real price of the stand. A much better value. I' d recommend looking at the Summit line. They have two stands that fold down for packing. Also have the Mini Viper that is a bit lighter than the XLS. Check out their website.
What' s that? You don' t need a full harness? Then you either already have one or are a fool. Ask anybody that knew a man named Dave Sheetz from Pa. Ask on some forums about him. Remember, safety is the first consideration when leaving tyhe ground.
I' ve owned and used a lot of stands over the last 30 years and find this to be one of the best so far. I, too, wish they made one lighter, but figure I' ll give up some comfort on the ground for a lot of comfort and safety in the tree.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with bgfisher, i have a viperxls, and the legend baby brute lite.
The baby is a pleasure to pack and climb with, i found that the leveling sytem works well sometimes, the seat is not that great but it works, I did my own modifying to the stand with pipe insulation and camo duct tape.
I 100% agree with bg, on the price, you should get more for your money!
The viper is an awesome stand, my two complaints are: the way you have to pack it in ,and out, it is a pain sometimes, especially for us short guys
The weight also, i wish was a little less, but this stand you could sit in all day, i know i have done it.
Both stands have plus' and minus, only you can determine the one you want.
Good luck
Old 11-03-2003, 07:11 PM

I have the Baby Lite and the Summit Viper. I love the Baby Lite. I can walk very far and not break a sweat. I agree the seat is not very comfortable. It climbs like a cat though. I disagree with it being a bit noisy. Any stand is if you don' t execute well. They both have their uses. The Viper is great for gun hunting when you might sit all day, but if you want to be extremely mobil you can' t beat the Timbertall. I am 245 pounds and the Baby Lite fits just fine. Even though the self leveling is a fine thread screw it has already gotten me out of trouble. I started the tree too tight and on the way back down I had a hard time disengaging the bottom. I loosened the leveling screw which gave me more slack and had no problem getting down.

Two things I agree with. For the price they could have given a better seat and also the backpack straps are not connected and must be removed and attached everytime.

I would recommend the Timbertall highly for mobility and the Summit for the long duration.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:14 PM

Forgot to mention I took a nice 8 pointer Upstate NY last Thursday out of my Timbertall.

BowLogic 36" Kodiak Bow (Great Bow)
NAP 4000 drop away
Gold Tip
Muzzy 100 Grain
Scott Caliper release.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Joe, looks like you have a good hunting rig there as well, those kodiaks are nice bows, i have one.Congrats on your deer!
Old 11-04-2003, 04:09 PM

I have had just about every bow and treestand you could image. I finally feel I have the perfect setup (for me). Everyone is different.

TimberTall Baby Lite
BowLogic 36 by Kodiak Outdoors
Gold Tip arrows
Muzzy 100 grain broadheads
Scott Caliper Release
Seat o' the pants safety harness

Now I just have to sell everything else....