Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Looking to buy GPS

Old 10-20-2003, 07:47 AM

Default Looking to buy GPS

I am bowhunting public land this year because the farmer got a better lease deal from some corporation. Anyway, I have no idea where to hunt on this 18,000 acre public land. I am planning to purchase a gps system but have no idea which type to buy. I don' t want to spend more than $200. Any suggestions on which ones work the best in forest like conditions? As always thank you for your assistance.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Looking to buy GPS

I picked up a Garmin GPS III plus off ebay for $150.00 that works great for my. I also got the topo CD' s for my area that allows us to link up to the pc and pre plan trails,spots drives etc. Also we mark all the sign that we see in new areas to look for concentration, patterns etc. Once back in camp we download to the maps and it shows where everyone was, what they saw and areas to stick with or can for the future. Very useful hunting where we do, the Adirondacks has ALOT of wilderness forest to play (get lost) in. Check on ebay for the unit.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:33 PM

You might want to check this site, www.trendyimports.com . That is where I bought my Garmin Etrex Venture. They have good prices there.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:27 PM

Purchased my Garmin Vista for $256.00,from www.gpsdiscount.com.

Joe
Old 10-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Hello
My son and I, as well as a brother in Arkansas all have Garmin Legends. These go for around $200. The are nice units, we all like them. We bought ours from adventure gps.
http://www.gps4fun.com/

Good luck
Dan
Old 10-20-2003, 09:02 PM

Thanks guys for the great advice on where to start shopping. Kind of funny how this " free" public land is costing me more than last year' s extremely reasonable lease ($300 for my share). So far I' ve had to buy a new climber costing $250 (can' t use permanent or stationary stands) and now a GPS to find my way around. But in any event, I just feel fortunate to have a place to go - public or private. Thanks again all!
Old 10-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ll second the Etrex Legend. After rebate, I paid 150 from Amazon.com. Nice little unit.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:38 PM

I purchased the Magellan Sport Track Pro which has 32 mb of memory for $269, and the USA topo software for another $100, then recieved $75 rebate back.
I liked this set up for me because I use it to travel and can put the interstates I travel and the area I' ll be camping at in it also. It saved me when I got lost in West Virginia this year after getting off the interstate.

I haven' t had a chance to use it hunting as of yet, but I' ll be trying that out in the near future. Of course most of the area' s I hunt in I know real well, but you just never know when it may come in handy.

But if you just used it for hunting areas and didn' t care about the memory the Sport Track Map would probably work well for you and it goes for $199.

Good Luck
Old 10-23-2003, 09:00 PM

i bought a magellan sport trak and am extremely pleased with it. it led me out of the dark forrests of the midwest and out of the deep lion filled gulches of the rockies. i am sure you will be happy with whichever gps you choose there are just so many great units out there.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:13 AM

By now it may seem to be overkill but I would suggest Garmin. I' ve got the rino 120 and absolutely love it. I' t the 1st gps I' ve owned. I took it out on a Sunday while doing a little scouting and with in a couple of hours had it figured out. My favorite feature is you can download topo maps from mapquest. If you' ve got 18,000 acres of land to hunt this may make finding the honey hole a little easier. Sure you can buy a topo, but can you buy a topo that wil lead you to the terrain funnels your looking for. Doubtful. Check them out but Keep in mind you can' t download topo' s on all models. I think this is one of the best features of the rino 120 and other garmin products.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.