Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Broadhead choice

Old 09-16-2014, 11:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by lou-lou
They both fly well for me . I do get a light whistling sound from the stick tricks. The wac'em's are quiet.
Then for me, my mind would already be made.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:09 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

After nearly two decades of messing around with all kinds of broadheads, mostly cheaper, but some not, I finally found one that shoots consistent and stays sharp:

Montec g5 one-piece stainless steel

The blades don't move cause they can't move. One broadhead shoots exactly like another. No tuning. Just shoot and be confident. They shoot like field points. I have 125 gr that I used on my crossbow. Then, I put them on my regular arrows and they shot consistent with a Mission Craze bow. The best part, however, is that you can resharpen these broadheads even if you are the 2nd worst sharpener in the world (I am the worst). You simply sharpen two edges at a time on a flat diamond stone - the angle is always perfect.

There are other similar one-piece broadheads. I would bet that the NAP Hellrazor would perform just as well and offer the same benefits.

I will never go back to moveable blades.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default All broadhead blades...

are a little small when compared to the whole size of a deer.
Any blade used should reinforce the practice, practice, practice.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by dougl
No deer will ever know the difference.People get way too hung up on the size of the hole.
I have to agree with this to a point. A bigger cut in the vitals will usually down game quicker and give a better blood trail. But anything, even a field tip, that takes out both lungs or heart will kill any animal. The problem comes with hunters not matching the broadhead to their set up. I shoot a PSE DNA at 63# and 29" DL and I shoot Rage Hypos now. Prior I shot a Martin Cheetah at 60# and used Slick Trick Razor Tricks or Magnus Stingers because of the cut on contact design. Now my daughter-in-law I have set up with her 40# Martin using Slick Trick Viper Tricks or Muzzy Phantoms.
My point is that light draw weight and big expandables do not go together. You need sufficient speed and weight to drive these into the vitals.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Spike

My vote is on the Slick Trick, took a calf elk at 60 yards this year. Arrow hit right where I wanted with complete pass through, granted it was just a calf.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by T.C_Hunter
The new muzzy trocars are a step in the right direction, they ditched the aluminum ferrule and went to a steel ferrule. Better flight with the new helical blades, and better durability.
Can't be beaten for the price either, 40 for six when most heads are double that. Seems like the general consensus is muzzy, slick tricks, and montec.
I've never hunted with the g5s but a friend does and has good results.
The muzzy blades cut paper with ease immediately after pass throughs and if one parts damaged I like that I can sometimes only have to replace a tip instead of puttin on a new head. Saves money over time.
It's all about dollars per lb of meat to me.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

I think a lot of bowhunters put way too much emphasis on cutting diameter of broadheads. I don't suggest trying it, but if you put a field point through both lungs, a deer wont go far. Those huge expandable broadheads are a recipe for poor penetration. Of the broadheads mentioned, slick tricks have a track record for flying extremely well and making pass throughs. Montecs fly well and are tough as nails, but the general consensus is that they don't necessarily leave the greatest blood trails - mostly because the blade angle is more like a knife than a razor blade or scalpel. My personal favorite is the Magnus Stinger. I'm currently using 125 grain, 4 blade Buzzcuts. They're super sharp, fly like field points, and come with an outstanding warranty.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Broadhead choice-14-buck-lung.jpg

100 gr Slick Trick Mags. They give you the extra diameter, sharp, tough and accurate.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you should be the one answering this question rather than asking it.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I have to agree with this to a point. A bigger cut in the vitals will usually down game quicker and give a better blood trail. But anything, even a field tip, that takes out both lungs or heart will kill any animal. The problem comes with hunters not matching the broadhead to their set up. I shoot a PSE DNA at 63# and 29" DL and I shoot Rage Hypos now. Prior I shot a Martin Cheetah at 60# and used Slick Trick Razor Tricks or Magnus Stingers because of the cut on contact design. Now my daughter-in-law I have set up with her 40# Martin using Slick Trick Viper Tricks or Muzzy Phantoms.
My point is that light draw weight and big expandables do not go together. You need sufficient speed and weight to drive these into the vitals.
I don't really think it matters what size the hole is when the lungs collapse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.