Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Drop away rests and cold weather? >

Drop away rests and cold weather?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Drop away rests and cold weather?

Old 07-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Drop away rests and cold weather?

I have thought about a drop away rest for a while, but am worried about there performance in the cold weather. How do they perform in cold weather? I hunt in Maine until mid December.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Spike

From western mn have shot deer around 0 without issue should be fine
Old 07-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

years ago had one fail twice on a trip to Illinois in Jan. Wounded and lost the second and third deer that I have ever wounded and not recovered. Havnt wounded one since
Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Spike

QAD drop away with micro adjustment has never failed me even with freezing temps, snow, and ice build up. Just be sure to clear any snow or ice from the arrow and rest before making your shot. Good luck to you this season!
Old 07-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

QAD has never done me wrong either and have never had a problem with it. But then again I do not hunt is the "coldest" of temps in the states I hunt.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not much that can go wrong with the better drop aways. But if you're really worried about malfunction you can always go with the tried and true whisker biscuit.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're REALLY that worried about it, it only takes a split second to release and reset the rest.

For what it's worth, the only experience I ever had with a rest locking up due to freezing was a fall away inertia rest (spring rest). I've never had an issue with a drop-away.

If your rest is set properly, your rest should draw a bit farther back when you draw your bow, so even if it WAS slightly seized, that positive mechanical over-draw will break the freeze before the shot.

Freezing of drop-away rests is greatly exaggerated by guys that don't want to spend money on anything but a whisker biscuit. In freezing wet conditions, whisker biscuits can also 'ice up' and offer inconsistent and uneven pressure on the shaft as you draw and release the shot, so don't be led to believe that it's immune to these issues.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If you get caught in a blizzard

and was in an emergency, I'd try some oil mixed with a little gasoline. Worked long ago in World War II on gun bolts.