Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

strings

Old 03-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default strings

I was wandering if it is neccesary to spend $100+ to get a safe reliable good string? Im a little old school when it comes to this we used to pay very little for a custom hand made string that were very reliable so I dont understand what you are paying for. I see places that sell strings on ebay for around half that, (still twice what they are worth in my mind) are these ok?
Old 03-18-2014, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I first got my Mathews Switchback 6 years ago, the stock string on it wouldn't allow the peep to align up. They installed one of those peeps with the rubber tubing. I heard some war stories about that rubber tube snapping off and waking people in the eye!!
So I took the plunge and went with a complete "Winner's Choice" string and cable system. That and a Shur-ez peep and I was good to go!! It has held up very well over the years. I don't shoot 3-D, so the amount of shooting I do compared to target shooters in minimal. I also think that it's a better quality string as well.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

$100 will get you the best string you can get. $60 will get you a decent set. More important than the material used to make the sting is the process of making the string. A good string will be stretched and served correctly and have very little stretch after installed. I dont changes strings very often, (every 1-2 years), so pending a little more on a decent set is worth it for me. If you head over to Archerytalk.com, they have some very talented string builders that wont break the bank.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Spike

www.60XCustomStrings.com You can get a full set of strings for $70 with free shipping in your choice of material and colors.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of good string makers out there. You do noy have to spend $100 on a set.
60x is one of them..
Old 04-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

$70 here also, shipped
In a string you get what you pay for I would stay away from discounted strings.
No stretch, no rotation.