Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

which rangefinder

Old 09-16-2003, 09:06 AM

Default which rangefinder

I am looking at either a bushnell yardage pro sport or a Nikon Team Realtree Laser 400 . The bushnell is for 145. and the nikon for 180. Which one is better? Which is more suited for bowhunting if one is more than the other.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:48 AM

Default RE: which rangefinder

The Pro Sport is more suited to just bowhunting because it will get down to like 10 yards, if I remember right.

However, if you plan to use it for all your hunting, it' s not the way to go. It' s longer yardage capability just isn' t there. I' d go with the Nikon. It should still get you down to 15 yards and up to 400 or longer depending on what you range to.

I use one for all my hunting, and it' s the Nikon Laser 800.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:40 PM

i know alot of people who have had major problems with the nikon messing up and the warrinty dep is supposedly pretty bad when it comes to the rangefinders i have the nikon 800 and so far have had no trouble with it but today my new binos and rangfinder from opti-logic came in the mail i havent gotten home yet to play with em but i have used both products before and love em the best part about the opti-logic rangefinder is that it has something in it that measures the angle and will tell u what to shoot something for if its 45 yards away on a hill sloping at 60 degrees whatever the yards or the angle it will tell u what to shoot it for not just what it is pretty cool huh? check em out at www.opti-logic.com i belive they are a first class product and if u ever need to send em back they are more than helpfull if u want to call and ask em about them call at 1-888-678-4564 talk to loretta and tell her dryfire(clay) sent ya she is more than willing to help
Old 09-18-2003, 02:15 PM

I have the yardage pro scout and I love it. It gets down to 9 yards. I get all the different models confused but the scout is great. I would say the only bad thing for some was the price ($289.00). Good luck on you choice.

Old 09-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saved up, and spent a little more money than I wanted but I am not at all disappointed. I went with the Leica 800. It works rain, snow, ect. I was going to buy a Nikon until I took both of them out of the store on the same day. It was cloudy with a slight drizzle. The difference between the two was absolutely amazing. The Leica was much brighter and it was easier to pick out small objects in the distance (rocks, tree branches) and range them consistantly with the same yardage. In the store (Cabela' s in Grand Forks N.D.) they looked almost the same. I' m not usually for buying big name/big money items unless they are actually a better product.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:20 PM

I have a yardage pro sport. I like it but it is' nt much better than the old ranging TRL or TRX I forget. The sport does' nt have a zip or a scan mode or a rain feature. That and the button that you press is loud (catunk!) and you need to press it twice once to turn it on then again to range. So its pretty hard to use directly on a closer animal. Other than that I do like the exact yardage that you get if its 43 yds. thats what it shows. Its pretty acurate. You just need to use it on trees or other landmarks before the animal comes in. Which is usually a good standard practice anyway. As for the other brands I have not tried any. Some are very expesive. If you can go to a store and try a few out I would. And if you can afford to spend a little more on one with a scan and a zip and a rain feature I would go with that especially the scan and zip. ( I hate hunting in the rain).
Old 09-18-2003, 07:57 PM

i just bought the bushnell sport myself and it seems to work pretty good.. I havent taken it out in the field yet but what i like is that its very compact..
Old 09-20-2003, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the yardage pro I like it but it is a battery hog and they are 5 bucks that to me is the only drawback
Old 09-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

I have the Nikon " Buckmasters" laser 400. While I feel its an accurate model, it will eat the battery while its " OFF" in the case. Have contacted Nikon to no avail. If this one gets accidently run over, I' ll try a bushnell next.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:41 PM

I just got my yardage pro 500 home and it works great. Only goes down to 18 yards but that has not been a big issue since my bow is good to 20 and if it won' t pick it up I know it is under 18. The scan mode is great it will continue to give readings as the target moves. or you can scan multiple targets the zip mode allows you to scan through trees at a distant target without the leaves messing it up. I have done alot of stepping it off after checking and it has always been right on the money. 243 or 247 yards to a deer size critter, I have got it to read trees out to 396 yards so far so should be good for muzzleloader season as well.

Quick Reply: which rangefinder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.