Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

laser rangefinder

Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default laser rangefinder

I am looking into purchasing a laser rangefinder, mostly for bowhunting. I would like a waterproof model. Just want a solid reliable piece of equiptment that will not fail if the weather turns nasty. Their are so many companies out there that say their product is better that others, I just need the advice of the folks who actually use them. Thank you for your help. Lou-lou
Old 09-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

You might want to look at the ones from Leupold, Bushnell, and Wildgame Innovations (HALO)
Old 09-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

i have a nikon pro staff 550 that i really like, its always on my belt through all weather and hasn't given me trouble, my only complaint is that it doesn't let in as much light as i would like it to.That doesn't really matter though because it primary use is for archery and marking distances from my stand. I haven't used other models but i assume there all pretty similar.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
i have a nikon pro staff 550 that i really like, its always on my belt through all weather and hasn't given me trouble, my only complaint is that it doesn't let in as much light as i would like it to.That doesn't really matter though because it primary use is for archery and marking distances from my stand. I haven't used other models but i assume there all pretty similar.
I would agree that the nikon's are good and reliable but are very average with regards to light transmission. I now use a leupold rx1000 with the tbr feature and love it. VERY compact and excellent light transmission compared to the nikons. If it's in your budget I'd give it a look. I also recommend staying with a bigger name brand like leupold, nikon, etc. A buddy of mine has one of the wildgame innovations and as long as you don't mind every reading being off 2 to 3 yards it seems to be ok, lol.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

waterproof/arc/warranty all that matters. ya get what ya pay for. i got a chuck adams, dont know who he is, and i had to look and see the name..but out of all the ones i used at the store, this was the best one at the time. it has never failed me, like my $100/1000ft one would when i needed it most while bow hunting. it is great for 100 yards and more away..but bow hunting i needed feet, and accurate..fast and consistently..chuck adams does that, but it isnt good for a long way, i think 4-600 yards maybe. so the right tool fer the right job i guess.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

in recent field and stream they did a comparison of best gps units under 200 and the chuck adams edition won, i think its made by bushnell
Old 10-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

I recently purchased the Leupold 800 TBR that they have recently started making. My old model was a Nikon Prostaff 550. The Nikon worked well but I like the features built into the Leupold.