Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Opinions or fact: Carbon scent suits >

Opinions or fact: Carbon scent suits

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Opinions or fact: Carbon scent suits

Old 02-21-2004, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opinions or fact: Carbon scent suits

To the naysayers that completely discount the effectiveness of these carbon garments I say: Sorry, you are wrong.

Carbon is not the tooth fairy. It is not something that you "believe in" or not. Carbon is a substance that absorbs odors. Period.

Like anything in the way of materials, including the camo patterns on the garment, carbon suits will have a limited lifespan. Big deal.

If you do not feel that the expense is justified, that I can understand. However, there is no question whatsoever that carbon absorbs odor and that these garments do the same to some degree.

Remember, the idea of "scent elimination" itself is a goal that is impossible to achieve. That does not mean that you cannot reduce the amount of scent being disbursed. It is like the sound of a radio playing in the woods...you cannot turn it off, but you can most certainly turn down the volume a great deal. Will it make a meaningful difference? At least judge for yourself before criticizing others that have tried it. If you haven't hunted with and without them for any extended period of time, you are simply applying "tooth fairy" reasoning to a scientifically proven premise.

And for those that are interested, you can buy military surplus camo carbon "chemical" suits for about $20.

I killed 3 deer (with archery gear) that were directly downwind of me. Hardly empirical evidence, but on the other hand...I was there and I know what I saw.

Like the metal broadhead and the compound bow, carbon garments are here to stay.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

I believe they help, but like all other remedies there is no single cure all or magic pill if you like.

There is no fooling a deer's nose, perhaps at times a deer's curiousity may get the better of it. As far as fooling a deer's nose(especially a mature deer), we sometimes forget about thermals. Fred Bear hunted religiously trying to use thermals to his advantage. Rising and falling currents of air along with rising and falling temperatures can take our scent away or deposit it. I see no harm in wearing a scent suit, any little advantage we can gain cannot hurt, along with being clean, spraying down and most of all hunting the wind.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL
instead of buying a whole suit just go to the foot care isle at wally world and get some odor eaters and stick them under your armpits[8D]
Old 02-23-2004, 06:26 PM

I don't really follow all the hype on these suits. They may work, they may help a little, they may not help at all. I've been winded before, and at other times, have had deer come within 15 yards with the wind blowing right to them. I use scent killer deodorant, earth scent wafers and the earth scent spray. Other then that, I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a suit that may or may not work. The closest I'll come to scent blocking type clothing is either Contain or Ab-Scent. Not a budget killer and is supposed to be effective.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:44 PM

I have been using the scentblocker garments since they came on the market. They do work, I still take care to bath and not dress until I reach my hunting area, that is where I start my walk into my stand location.On numerous occassions I have been caught in the open by Bucks that crossed my wind not less than 20 yards with them not scenting me. They are expensive but until something comes along that is better and I hope Cheaper I will continue to use them.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:04 PM

I remember my Uncle telling me he used to wash his regular hunting clothes in a mesh bag with leaves in it and hang them outside to dry, to give him that natural scent of the outdoors. That was over 20 years ago. In my opinion, know the direction of the wind thats more than half the battle. Carbon activated suits are a personal preference - imo.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have never used any of the carbon suits, BUT, my hunting budy uses them, and while he doesn't think they are perfect, but says that he has more deer around him and closer to him than before he used them.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:10 PM

I have a scent lok suit and it deffinitely helps out big time in terms of keeping odors away from the noses of deer. The fact is though that nothing is completely fool proof and the only way to hunt safe is to use the wind to your advantage and only to hunt when the wind is perfect. The winds sometimes do swirl though and I have had deer downwind of me before cause they came from a direction I did not expect they would come out of and both mature does walked right under my stand without smelling me. I would deffinitely invest in a scent lok or Scent Blocker suit, but to allways play the wind right cause it's not a garruntee and it is very hard to fool a deers nose
Buckkilla
Old 03-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

If I ever win the multi-state Powerball, I'll have to aggresively find ways to spend all that money on stupid stuff. Oh wait, heres one![X(] While I agree that I'm Positive that these carbon suits work for about one season. And I also believe that it sure as hell can't hurt, I also believe that come season number two, the suit has lost all of it's scent blocking capabilities. I've read way too much on the carbon thing to be convinced otherwise. As far as the dryer working to re-activate it. Phooey!

I'll wait until I win the lottery.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:14 PM

I think this stuff is overrated. you don't have a filter on your breath so you are never scent free. you are missing many deer if you still don't play the wind. I think it is a waste of money playing the wind is free and gauranteed.

Quick Reply: Opinions or fact: Carbon scent suits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.