Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Don't you love the hype

Old 02-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Don't you love the hype

Remember a few years ago when every big name bow hunter was shooting Matthews bows? Now there are still a few of them. But now it seems several of them are bragging about their new PSEs!
I guess it just goes to show you that wherever they get their freebees is who they are going to hype up.
Now I am not putting down Matthews or PSE - but I pity the poor guy who decides to start bowhunting and buys a bow solely on the hype generated by the TV hunters.
Oh well, I guess its good for the soul to rant every once in a while. I'm done now....lol
Old 02-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

That's exactly why most of us who respond to posts about what bow to buy, tell them to buy what feels good to shoot. My main bow is a Martin. Don't see to many of them on tv. Except for uncle Ted.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

HD - Looks like we have a lot in common. I have 3 Martins. I love them. They are fast quiet and deadly accurate. They also have excellent CS. I bought a demo Firecat 2 years ago. The shop put a brand new string on it and set it up with peep and D loop. I came home and about the 3rd shot thru it the string just exploded. Must have been defective as it broke between the peep and the D loop. Cracked the upper limb. I took it back to the shop and he called Martin. They sent him new limbs, cams, cable, string and everything else it needed. The great prat was that they were not Firecat replacements but for the newer Onza which I think, used the same riser. That bow is visciously fast and very accurate and quiet. I shot a mature bison bull with it this past fall at 27 yds. The bow was set at 64#, 28" draw, 5575 GT arrows and 100 gr 2 blade Magnus Stinger. That arrow blew thru ribs on both sides completely passing thru and just kept on going. I never found the arrow and the bison only went 75 yds before going down.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-19-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

I have been shooting the Slayer the last few years. Now discontinued but has by far been the best bow I have owned. Would not hesitate to buy another Martin.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sometimes I feel sorry for the bow manufacturers

But then I see how much they've improved their product, in one short year, and I just worry that my old bow is still working.

It's bad enough watching on the internet. Thankfully I miss all the "pros", as we cancelled cable television, years ago.