Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

80% bows

Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Spike

Default 80% bows

Hi, I just bought a used Switchback Mathews bow. I had the cam changed and it is supposed to be a 80% let-off bow. When I do the math. It is only letting off at 65% let off. Dealer said it was a 80% let off and so did the company by the letters I gave them on cam. They told me it had to be at max to be calibrated right and it still isn't giving correct let off. Has anyone ever checked your bows and seen if they are at what the manufacture says they are ? Just wandering. I have a Hoyt and an Oneida Eagle. They are what they are supposed to be. One at 65% the other at 60%. I went to the Mathews because they have quite the hype on the shows, and I need the 80% for a neck and back PRoblem. Hate to give up the old bows though.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Skeeder1964
Hi, I just bought a used Switchback Mathews bow. I had the cam changed and it is supposed to be a 80% let-off bow. When I do the math. It is only letting off at 65% let off. Dealer said it was a 80% let off and so did the company by the letters I gave them on cam. They told me it had to be at max to be calibrated right and it still isn't giving correct let off. Has anyone ever checked your bows and seen if they are at what the manufacture says they are ? Just wandering. I have a Hoyt and an Oneida Eagle. They are what they are supposed to be. One at 65% the other at 60%. I went to the Mathews because they have quite the hype on the shows, and I need the 80% for a neck and back PRoblem. Hate to give up the old bows though.
Can't give a definitive answer about what's going on with your bow, but bows are rated with the limbs bottomed and usually at max draw length. However, your cam is draw length specific and even with the limbs backed off there should only be a few percentage points difference in letoff. And that percentage means only a pound or two in actual holding weight.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Take it to the shop again and have them verify the weight. At 70 lb with 65% let off you should be holding about 25#, with 80% let off you should be holding about 14#. Big difference. If you paid for a bow with 80% that's what you should have.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Spike

Default 80% let off

Thanks for the reply. I have my own scales and have checked the weight and let off. The let off is showing 65% let off . It is supposed to be 80% but isn't . I know. I am going to take it back to them. I didn't get the bow from this bow shop though. They changed the Cam from a 29" to a 30" for me, but they told me it was a 80 % cam. I wrote the Mathews company, and they told me it was the right Cam. My Hoyt says 65% let off and it is when I check the weight and what I am holding. I need the letoff that is why I tried the Mathews. Have you ever tried your bow and see if the letoff is what the bow is supposed to be?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot Martins and yes the let of is right around 80%. I have a 'little' Martin 35-50# and have it set at 45#. Holding 9# I can hold forever. I got this one for my grandson but I like shooting it sometimes.