Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Muzzy broadhead; what is the mystique? >

Muzzy broadhead; what is the mystique?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Muzzy broadhead; what is the mystique?

Old 08-06-2003, 01:03 AM

Default Muzzy broadhead; what is the mystique?

Muzzy broadheads are undoubtedly a quality broadhead. However, are they the best? I personally do not believe so. Are they so exceptional -the Ferrari of broadheads, as to demand and deserve the hefty price you must pay for them? No way, José!

Up until several seasons ago, I used Muzzy for a few seasons. They were good performers, but I did not consider them so remarkable in comparison with other broadheads I had used, that I never considered ever using another brand/type. In fact, the only feature that enticed me to use Muzzy was the blade locking system the Muzzy employed. Other than that feature, I did not see anything in the Muzzy design that some other brands did/do not have.

Could I just mount the Muzzy and instantly begin hitting the " spot" because they flew accurately straight out of the box? No! I had to " tweak" my gear to obtain accuracy, just as I had to do with some other brands; more than some, less than some.

I never had any blades dislodge right out of the ferrule, however I did have blades break. Once when a shaft blew through a deer and smashed into a graveled dry creek bed, a blade snapped off where the blade-base seats in the ferrule channel.

On another occasion, when the head penetrated a deer and slammed into the shoulder-bone on the opposite side of where the shaft entered, one blade snapped cleanly off at the ferrule channel, and another blade broke near the front and bent back, leaving the blade still partially seated. However, in both cases I considered that the breakage was not abnormal considering the impact and stress they underwent.

Do I blame the quality of the Muzzy? No! It can happen with any head. That is bowhunting. However, the experiences never allowed me to believe that Muzzy was the ultimate broadhead. Therefore, when the price became ridiculous for Muzzy, I did not hesitate to drop Muzzy and find another head that was as good or better, for a less cost. I did.

Long after I had stopped using Muzzy, and would talk about the high cost was the main reason I changed, I had a few bowhunters tell me that they had good results with Muzzy, but upon a shaft fully penetrating a deer, a blade or two would break when the Muzzy stuck in the ground. Also, a local bow shop owner puts together bowhunting trips in Africa. One person who had gone on one of the trips told me that one outfitter in Africa prohibited the use of " Satellite" and " Muzzy" broadheads. The outfitter apparently said that there had been too many incidents of Muzzy blades breaking on large game.

Do those incidents of failures mean that Muzzy is an inferior head? Far from it. However, what the accounts do mean is that Muzzy is not so superior as to discount other broadheads, or to pay the price that Muzzy demands.

There does seem to be a broadhead out there that is a " sleeper." It does not seem to be as openly heralded as Muzzy is, but for years I have heard nothing but good about the broadhead. I know some hunters that use the broadhead and talk about head as though it (broadhead) is a classic and the ultimate head. It is the " Thunderhead."

I do not know, I have never used the " Thunderhead." However, considering the good things I have heard about the broadhead, for a long time, I have no good reason why I have never tried them. I guess it is because I do not jump from gear to gear without a very good reason to change.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:26 AM

Default RE: Muzzy broadhead; what is the mystique?

Sniff, sniff,[:' (] You dissed my Muzzy.[:' (][:' (]

Heres the scoop. I believe when the Muzzy broadhead first came out it was one of the best heads out there. From the testimonials I have heard a few of the competitors now have broadheads that I believe are just as good as the muzzy. I started out with bear broadheads then satellite, savora, rocky mountain brute, thunderheads, then finally Muzzy 115 grain. The muzzys were what I had been searching for. Great flight, awesome penetration, and hold togetherness even when hitting bone. But Im starting to feel
the need to experiment with a cheaper head. If I could find a head that performs as well but at a much cheaper cost then i would probally buy it. I just dont have the money to experiment with alot of different heads to find it. I have been using these broadheads since they first came out and have killed over 15 deer with them. Not one broken blade and that include 3 through the shoulder hits.
This head has performed flawlessly for me and many others. Thats why the goood
testimonials. What grain heads were you using when the blades broke? I frankly havent heard anyone else with any bad experiences with this head. If there are. Speak up now! [8D] I want to hear from ex muzzy shooters who have switched to
a cheaper tougher head.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Once when a shaft blew through a deer and smashed into a graveled dry creek bed, a blade snapped off where the blade-base seats in the ferrule channel.
Damn, I hate when that happens!!![&:][&:][&:]

Therefore, when the price became ridiculous for Muzzy, I did not hesitate to drop Muzzy and find another head that was as good or better, for a less cost. I did.
What head is it????

Personally, the Muzzy head has always been the go back to head. After trying other heads, I always went back to Muzzy.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ben, here' s what I posted on a different thread.

I' ve shot and killed deer with about a half dozen broadheads over the years. The first couple years, I used anything I could get my hands on. Then I ended up switching to Muzzy 115 4 blade heads, and used them for quite a few years. The were excellent heads and I never had a problem with them. Then I deciced to give the Magnus 2 blade heads a try (mainly out of curiousity, from what I had read about them). Long story short...I' ve used the Magnus heads ever since, for the last 7-8 years (I think), and killed plenty with them. They are a tremendous head all around IMO. A couple things I like about them above the Muzzy...(not taking anything away from Muzzy...they are great heads)....They are about $10 less per 6, they can easily be resharpened (no blades to replace), and IMO they will out penetrate most any other head on the market. Both Muzzy' s and Magnus fly great out of a well tuned bow, and either would be a great choice IMO.

I almost forgot....one other head that is very good, and doesn' t get talked about much here is the thunderhead. I' ve used the 125' s and IMO they are excellent.
c903
I read your other post on the rocket ultimate steel' s, so I' m assuming that' s what you' re talking about. Looking at those heads, and just going by my experience...I doubt you' ll gain a thing over the Muzzy' s. In fact, for my money if it were between the two, I' d bet the muzzy' s would perform better. You' ll have to let us know how they end up doing.

Now...if you really want a head that performs to all the standards you require...read my above quote...
Old 08-06-2003, 11:20 AM
nub

I' d take a Muzzy over T heads anyday. Have you priced those T-heads? They run about 4 or 5 bucks more a six pack than Muzzys around here. I' ve shot a lot of T' s and won' t go back to them. They lost way too many blades in my broadhead leagues compared to the Muzzys.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:31 AM

Speaking for myself, I was using the crap put out by other companies(Sattelite?) at the time Muzzy' s were introduced, and they were a huge step up. Still using them because they have never failed to perform, and nobody' s made anything that makes me think it' s better. A Muzzy' s gonna put a 1 3/16 hole through anything I shoot, and hold all the blades regardless of bone. What would you define as better than that? As for price, if $30 scares you away from a half a dozen broadheads, maybe bowhutning' s too pricey for yuo.
c903, that' s suprising regarding your African outfitter, when I researched an African bowhutning trip, and asked about broadheeads, Muzzy wwas on every single outfitter' s short list. Every one.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:10 PM

WV Hunter:

No, it' s not the " Rockets." I do not yet know how they will perform in the field. The head I ended up with is the 125 gr. Cabela Lazer Pro, and now the 125 gr. Cabela Lazer Surpeme w/replaceable stainless steel tip.

When I first started using the Cabela head, I believe it was $13.99 for 6 heads, and $6.99 for 18 replacement blades. They cost more now, but still far below popular brands.

The only feature I did not like on the " Lazer Pro" was the rubber " O-ring" as a blade retainer I dumped it and use a standard aluminum retaining washer. What I really like about the " Lazer Pro," is that the heel-tab actually rides partially underneath the collar of my inserts.

I also got my brother, nephew, and close friend to switch over to the Cabela' a. I am not go into all the circumstances of use, but I will say that they have far surpassed what we thought they would/could do. I have had some name-brand heads not perform as well.

Using one incident; my nephew, using 2314' s@67 lbs., dropped two does 10 minutes apart. On the first doe, from 23 yards, the head fractured a rib going in and exiting, took out her main works, and stuck in the ground. She made it about 75 yards. On recovery, the head and blades were found intact.

On the second doe, at 23 yards, he busted her so hard, she jumped, twirled and fell right where he hit her. We determined that the head took her between 2 ribs going in, went right through her heart, cracked a rib on exiting, and stuck in a sapling. We removed the head from the tree and found the head and blades intact.

Last season, the same nephew and I made a devastating hit on deer using the same head. What the " Lazer" did on my buck was impressive, but I personally have never seen a head do what the " Lazer" did on his doe. From a ground position, and about 15 feet above, he had a shot to her left side from about 24-yards. As he released, the doe moved and angled to the right, causing the shaft to hit farther back than any of us want.

The shaft went shot through the ham of the left rear leg, slammed in behind the rib cage, went forward in a downward angle and open her up from mid belly to sternum as you would when field dressing. She dumped half of her intestines as she fled. It was no problem recovering her. The head was intact.

On second thought, why in the hell am I considering a change for lesser cost and possibly good flight without much tweak? Does not make much sense, does it? []
Old 08-06-2003, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it ain' t broke...don' t fix it...right?

Problem is, we (humans, especially bowhunters) are notorious for tinkering. I don' t have it too bad anymore(thank god). If I remember right cabelas makes like 2 diff heads (one seems like a take off of a thunder head, the other of a muzzy)? I' m sure either will work fine, and truth be told they probably are made by those companies...you know how that goes.

As far as penetration....that' s how I ended up being a loyal magnus user. I shot a buck with a Muzzy, and at the last second he turned and the arrow entered just behind the ribs and buzzed straight up and out the same side of the rib cage. Obviously not a vital hit. I quickly grabbed another arrow in hopes for another shot and loaded it up. (It just happened to be a Magnus tipped shaft...the only one I had in my quiver--I carried it all the time, but never used it, LOL)
He stopped wide open quartering hard away...almost straight away, at 40yds. Since he was already hit...I let her fly. The arrow entered the rear ham, traveled all the way through the deer and out the opposite shoulder....right through the big bone. The deer went about 25yds. I was shocked when I got there and saw the shaft sticking out the shoulder blade. I couldn' t believe it did that, especially at that distance. It cut a nice slice right in the middle of the bone and came right through. It stopped at the fletchings, so it was most of the way out. This was from a bow shooting about 240fps with a 530gr arrow so it had good KE, but not a ton. I was impressed to say the least, and have been using them since. At 6 for $20, and you can resharpen them....they are hard to beat. I' ve taken over a dozen with them since, and they work very well. Good luck with the cabelas heads...sounds like they will do fine.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:23 PM

Ah, now we know . 5 shot didn`t give these a bad rating compared to Muzzy`s did he? Hell send me a pack and I`ll try them on moose. Those critters ribs are as thick as a whitetails leg bone.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Muzzy broadhead; what is the mystique?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.