Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Used Bear Bow

Old 07-23-2003, 08:40 AM

Default Used Bear Bow

I am brand new to posting messages here, but I read them often. I have been dreaming of bow-huting for the last 3 years, but have never had the money to get a bow. A couple of weeks ago I found a bow in decent condition at a garage sale cheap. Here are my questions: 1. How can I find out what model of bow it is? I know it is a Bear bow because of the emblem. It has some numbers on it , but they look hand written with a marker. It has a black lacquer finish. 2. How do I find a sight and other things I need to start shooting? The only thing on the bow was a quiver. I don' t have a clue about getting it ready for the season and some serious practice. 3. Would the best bet be to take it to an Archery shop and ask them these questions? I was thinking of doing that, but money is an issue and I have only the bow. No arrows or anything else. Sorry if the post is too long. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:34 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Used Bear Bow

I assume from your description that the bow is a recurve and not a compound. Post the numbers that are written on it in the traditional section and those guys can help you out. I would take it to a shop and make sure the limbs aren' t twitsted or cracked.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:49 AM

Actually I was a little negligent in my description. It is a compound Bow.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:49 AM

Actually I was a little negligent in my description. It is a compound Bow.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take it to a pro shop let the man there look at it, check the weight, and measure you for some arrows of the correct spine. Some shops might have used equipment for sale such as sights, releases, etc. Good Luck you have to start somewhere.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

definately take it to a shop. they can measure/set draw lenght, and weight, and get you some arrows, or atleast tell you what you should shoot
Old 07-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

DO NOT BUY !!! Since your a beginner, go to a pro shop, they usually have a " used" section, and they can measure you and fit a bow to you. That bow your looking at may be a 46in. draw set at 105 lbs. Do not buy from e-bay either, unless you know exactly what you want and need. Let a pro shop guide you, and have them tune and set up for you.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:31 AM
nub

While I understand what your sayig Big John, 46" draw![] Holy smokes! I' d like to see the man pulling that!

Garyhunter: Where you from? Know any die hard archers by you? Reason I ask is, most like myself, probably have enough parts in their tackle boxes to get you started out. Might even have some spare shafts in the back of a closet.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the advice. Nub I live in Ellsworth. I am going to bring it to the Pro Shop this weekend. Haven' t met any hardcore archery hunters yet, but there is a nice archery range and club here in town. I just figured it may be better to show up with a set-up, rather than like a complete newbie.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:31 AM

Thanks to all for advice. Finally got to the archery pro shop. Looks like I got a 29 inch draw with it set a 60# weight. It will cost me about $100 to get set up for shooting. Not too bad considering the cost of a Brand New set-up. Found out my bow is about 15 to 20 years old, but still in healthy, working order. Now for the hard part PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!! Season starts 9/13

Quick Reply: Used Bear Bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.