Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Arrow shattered when shot >

Arrow shattered when shot

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Arrow shattered when shot

Old 07-20-2010, 04:02 AM
Spike

Default Arrow shattered when shot

My buddy and I have used V-Force by Victory arrows. He had one shatter last month. This is the first time this happened to him. He did switch from a Fred Bear Truth bow to a Iceman. Anybody else have problems with these arrows? I am concerned about shooting these again.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any carbon can come apart once damaged.With carbons it pays to check them after every shot.I bend and twist them.By doing so I can see,hear and feel if there's a problem.No matter how minor I toss any I find the slightest problem with.Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
Any carbon can come apart once damaged.With carbons it pays to check them after every shot.I bend and twist them.By doing so I can see,hear and feel if there's a problem.No matter how minor I toss any I find the slightest problem with.Better safe than sorry.
I almost shot a damaged carbon last year. Looked OK when I knocked it, but noticed the tip looked a little funny so I checked it again and found the tip could be easily bent. I have seen those nasty photos of a guy with a shattered carbon arrow through his hand, don't want to end up like that guy!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes it only takes a tiny crack to shatter an arrow.. Like said before, it's good to check your arrows every shot.. I'm guilty of not doing so, but I do check often.
They will all do it! I shot a Carbon Express the other day at my bag target and it it low where the bag was hard, broke the brand new arrow in half on impact. I know why it did, because the arrow was 30 inches long and it had too much forward motion shot at an angle.

You can never be too careful with carbons.

Last edited by The Rev; 07-22-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:13 AM
bigcountry

Another reason to love ACC's and FMJ. Best of both worlds.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Saw a pic in the local shop a couple days ago. The arrow splintered about 5 inches in front of the vanes and went right through the skin along the index finger knuckle on the shooter's hand. There were 4-5 separate splinters also sticking out. Didn't look pleasant
Old 07-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Another reason to love ACC's and FMJ. Best of both worlds.
Thats kind of my thinking.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, flexing is good, but visual, and turning the shaft into your thumbnail has found a bad one for me. Do what you gotta do, but be safe. And don't shoot underspined arrows.
Attached Thumbnails Arrow shattered when shot-flexitfirst.jpg  
Old 07-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by The Rev
Sometimes it only takes a tiny crack to shatter an arrow.. Like said before, it's good to check your arrows every shot.. I'm guilty of not doing so, but I do check often.
They will all do it! I shot a Carbon Express the other day at my bag target and it it low where the bag was hard, broke the brand new arrow in half on impact. I know why it did, because the arrow was 30 inches long and it had too much forward motion shot at an angle.

You can never be too careful with carbons.
I used to shoot cx's but they always seemed to break and crack too easily. I switched to eastons and they seem to be a lot tougher.