Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Arrow release

Old 07-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow release

In your guys opinion what type of arrow release is better, the kind that is wrapped around your wrist or the three fingered kind you hold in your hand.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Different strokes for different folks.

I would say that from a pure accuracy standpoint the handheld will be the most accurate, when it is shot properly at it allows the release to happen through back tension as opposed to just mashing the trigger.
The flip side is that it takes some time to learn just how to shoot it properly. Anybody can get the release to go off, however getting it to go off with a total surprise and good shot execution in a hunting situation tends to be more difficult.

The easiest type to get used to is by far the wrist strap type. This is especially true for beginning archers. It sucks big time to accidentally drop your release out of the stand when going for your bow.
If you do go with a wrist strap type, I would recomend getting one with a good, crisp trigger. Something like the TruBall Short-N-Sweet or any of the Carter releases.

IMHO the TruFire Hurricane and similar releases with long trigger pulls to get the release to fire are one of the #1 causes of target panic and punching the trigger in new archers.

Get a good release from the start and avoid building bad habits.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks that's the answer i'm looking for
Old 07-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're comparing the accuracy of a wrist strap release to a T-handle (back tension) release..... there simply isn't a comparison to be made! The Back tension releases have long dominated every aspect of tournament archery and proven to be the most consistent and accurate releases in the world!

That being said, it can be difficult and intimidating for some folks to learn how to shoot one but once they do...... they will be a better shooter for life. Even the guys that shoot wrist strap releases often switch to a BT release from time to time just to keep that level of muscle memory, accuracy and consistency.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

I figured it would be the most accurate release and i can see how it is but the only problem i have with t handle releases is the prices. I'm definitely going to try one though. Thanks
Old 07-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been using a Genesis Mag X for competition and for hunting. I never liked wrist release. I've even used a back tension release for hunting. I just shoot too much competition and I'm used to those releases.