Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
best T handle type release >

best T handle type release

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

best T handle type release

Old 06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default best T handle type release

What is the best release of this type. I am currently using a Truball pro diamond extreme but looking for something better/smoother.

How about some recommendations.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

True fire makes some good ones
Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

There is no such thing as "The best" release, bow, arrow, broadhead, etc...

What works for you may be complete crap for someone else, especially when it comes down to releases. Hand sizes, grip and position all come into play when looking at a hand held release.

I have owned 20+ hand held releases looking for "The One". In the end I settled on a Carter Instatiable for hunting and a Zenith Comfort 4 for a target release. That being said, of all of the releases I have owned, I can pretty much say that anything by Carter, TruBall or Stan is a very high quality release, not that they all fit my particular style, but the fit and finish was top notch.

Find a release that fits your hand, and feels comfortable for your shooting technique and that is your particular "best release".

Some good places to start would be in no particular order:

Carter Instatiable (been in the lineup for years and is a proven performer)
Carter Target 4
Carter Attraction (Looks like a really nice release but is probably mucho $$$)
TruBall Absolute
TruBall BossX
Stan Shootoff
Stan SX2

If you are not sure what you want, try finding some archery shops that have them in stock and will allow you to shoot a couple to see how they fit. Another good place would be at a 3D shoot. Some of the guys would probably let you shoot their releases just to get a feel for them. Find one that feels good in your hand and start with it.

One other note, just because a release looks cool or has a million adjustments does not mean that you can make it fit you. I have bought and promptly sold some brand new, very expensive releases because regardless of how much adjusting I did, they never felt comfortable in my hand.

Good luck in your search.

I see from looking at your signature that your are in Eastern, PA....that is good luck for you. Take a run down to Lancaster Archery. They have the best selection of releases available to shoot on the east coast (possibly the country). Well worth the trip if just to wander through their showroom and gawk at all of the stuff, first hand.

Last edited by 98Redline; 07-01-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been hearing a ton of great feedback on the Hot Shot Tempest.

It looks like I'm gonna have to pick one up and see what all the talk's about. I've shot a couple models of TRU Balls as well as a Carter in the past and they were awesome!
Old 07-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

cornfed - i looked at that and i don't like the design. I want a rotating head. I like the Trubal Pro Diamond Extreme and it seems smooth enough. I also like it because I can hook it on the string and let it there while on stand. I used Scott wrist caliper releases for years but found that a lot of times they were in the way.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

Don't limit your choices simply because of the rotating head. If you are shooting a D-loop whether the head rotates or not makes no difference. The 1/4 twist you put in a D-loop with a non rotating head has no....zip....zero....nada effect on accuracy or shootability.

IMHO, I would shy away from the rotating head. If it is not in the same position shot after shot then it will be a detriment to accuracy (That comes from personal experience)
Old 07-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Red - thanks for the advice. But I did a bit of tweaking with the TruBall Pro Diamond Extreme (I actually read the instructions this time). I adjusted it to minimum sensitivity as instructed + another 1/4 turn for safety's sake. Now it is crisp. Get on target and apply a bit of back pressure and off she goes. I just got another one for a spare and have that one tuned up the same way.