Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
New to compounds... a little help please.... >

New to compounds... a little help please....

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New to compounds... a little help please....

Old 06-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Spike

Default New to compounds... a little help please....

So i just got a PSE brute pkg(thanks to my lovely wife) which is my first compound bow... 60 lb weight at 30" draw. A traditional long bow for years prior...

It is pretty overwhelming when looking at all the rests, BH types... What can you guys recommend? I have sighted in with the field points out to 40 yards, but not sure and no real inclination to shoot further than that, but havent tested out BH's yet...

What targets should be used for BH's when shooting compounds (uses hay bays for the long bow, BH's buried deep, but just pulled out...)?

I have a whisker biscuit rest, and coming from a long bow, that is a heck of a rest, but no one even mentions them on here... Are there some major limitations to them?

Using a release too, probably take a while to get the hang of that, and I'm game for it...

What tricks would you guys recommend? I most likely will stick with this bow for a while, may find a need to upgrade later, but for the time being, she shoots like a dream compared to a stick bow!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Spike

Well to start, 40 yards is a good distance, in fact that is all the farther I have practiced on a regular basis so good job there! As far as your wisker biskit. It is a great self containment rest that is very easy to set up and tune.....no need to change that in my opinon, maybe someday get a good drop away when you upgrade or want to. The hay bales will probably not work with this bow as far as a target goes. A compound generally produces more kenetic energy that will drive that arrow deep into the bale and possibly completely through it.....I would recomend getting a layered field point/BH taget simmilar to this http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...SELL_THUMBNAIL
this is the exact target that I shoot and I love it! Broadheads are just your own opinion there are a LOT of good heads out there both mechanical and fixed blades. The ones that I have shot and liked are Rage 2 blade Mechanical, Slick Trick and Muzzy Fixed Blades. I hope this helps ya out! Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

hey i have some links for you...It is a guide to buying sights and other things. Good info and it gets you an idea of price, here they are

http://www.huntersfriend.com/sight-s...sight-help.htm

http://www.huntersfriend.com/catawba...est-review.htm

http://www.huntersfriend.com/Arrow-R...rrow-rests.htm

http://www.huntersfriend.com/product...y-targets.html

these have helped me when i was new to archery, plus one talks about the whisker buiskit!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Spike

Thanks for the tips guys!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you haven't already Archerytalk.com has a ton on info on it. Check out the classifieds for sites, rest etc....you can get some good deals there.

Just curious but how did you come up with your draw length? You don't see many 60/30's not saying its impossible just asking cause you are new to it and too long of a DL can be an issue.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Duckbutter48
If you haven't already Archerytalk.com has a ton on info on it. Check out the classifieds for sites, rest etc....you can get some good deals there.

Just curious but how did you come up with your draw length? You don't see many 60/30's not saying its impossible just asking cause you are new to it and too long of a DL can be an issue.
Well the PSE brute was set up at 60#'s and had a 29" - 31" draw (according to the owners manual...) I have a 31" draw when shooting my long bow, but I am using a release with the compound (so I deducted an inch as the release makes up the difference from using fingers!)