Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bear bows

Old 06-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bear bows

I've been bowing hunting three years now with a bow I bought back in high school. It is a 1999 relex buckmaster. This year I either need to spend some money on repairs. The guy at the local shop is telling me its gonna cost around $120 to put a new string on my bow and tune it. Seems kinda high to me. Anyway I work at a local sporting goods store part-time and through work I get a special incentive deal on bear bows. I was looking at the attack but it would still be around $500 however until august I can get a bear strike for $190. I'm trying to decide what I should do. Any opinions are welcome. I'm leaning toward buying the strike in a 60-70. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

new string installed should run ya bout $100 or so, so $120 sounds like $8 too high, but reasonable..maybe there is higher difficulty somewhere, or he has to add somethin else..like dampeners or somethin..

$190 on a new bow...will your old arrows fit it, and does it come equipped? sights and rest....if yes maybe the new bow is the way to go.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default new string

$120 ??? I buy string and cable sets for $38 and put them on myself. Maybe you should look into buying a bowpress and doing it yourself...it's not hard. I'm sure you can get a new string and cable for less than $60.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

my string was like $90-$100 installed
Old 07-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Spike

Default Bear attack owner

My string and cables were $60.00 and they're after market pre stretched so $120.00 is way to high. And I shoot an attack and love it. But any bear is a good bow. They're among the most dependable and quietest bows on market.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default cost

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
my string was like $90-$100 installed
You might want to shop around....
Old 07-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Spike

I have a couple of different brands, but the new Bear Assault will be hunting this fall. I wrapped the grip with tennis racket tape, put some rubber grommets and zip ties to keep the suppressors closer to the string, at mid range poundage, and the bow is wonderful. It is quiet, quick and is extremely user friendly. And it sounds like you can get one at cost, even better.

I am honestly surprised - in a good way, at the performance. You do have to play with the draw stop, string position, etc to get set up properly. Mine measured long with mod, ds in marked position. But once set up - great bow for the money.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:58 AM
Spike

i would shop around, i can get a custom set built to spec for 60 bucks made out of 8125 ...