Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Vanes vs feathers

Old 05-04-2010, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Vanes vs feathers

A few years ago I bought a Diamond Marquis from Cabelas and purchased their version of Blazers. I have a rip cord drop away and have had clearance issues. I've been thinking about going back to feathers. I'd appreciate any views on feathers vs. vanes (in particular Blazers) thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure about the blazers but I have shoot both and I found that with feathers my bow was louder. Also with feathers you have to worry about them getting wet. However, feathers seem to fly a broad head very nicely. I think its just personal preference.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by live2hunt009
Not sure about the blazers but I have shoot both and I found that with feathers my bow was louder. Also with feathers you have to worry about them getting wet. However, feathers seem to fly a broad head very nicely. I think its just personal preference.
I agree
But feathers are more durable.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks again for the input. I'll probably stick with what I have
Old 05-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm wondering what kind of bow you have. The Blazers do not have a very high profile and with a Ripcord drop away, if it is set up correctly, you should have not contact issues. I shot both 4" feathers and 2" Blazers on the same arrows through a NAP Quick Tune 360 capture rest and actually got better grouping with the Blazers.
But if you prefer to try feathers and are worried about getting them wet, you can always treat them with the same stuff that black powder shooters use to keep their frizzen pan powder dry. It a product called powder dry and comes in a 2 oz bottle. You just pour some in a baggie, put in the fletched end of the arrow and shake. Then remove the arrow and work it into the feathers. You can put the feathers under running water and the water will just flow off.