HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Is it worth it to spend the money? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/321894-worth-spend-money.html)

tsaxybabe 04-20-2010 10:49 AM

Is it worth it to spend the money?

This is my first year bowhunting (I started shooting a bow in July) and I just started out with the cheapest accessories on my bow. The sight I have right now is just the basic $20 plastic sight with 3 pins. I like the look of the Spot Hoggs (I was looking at the Right on, with 5 pins and the hogg wrap for $125). However, my fiance tells me its a waste of money because the one I have works good enough. I agree, the sight I do have works, but is it wrong to want a better one? :wink: It's a pretty good chunk of money to spend..do you think I'm better off with the better sight or should I just use the one I have? I mostly just want it for the extra pins, plus they are smaller and brighter and I have heard this sight is almost indestructible. I was recently given $100 as a gift so I have that money lying around. Your thoughts would be appreciated :)

wvnimrod 04-20-2010 03:45 PM

Well there are advantages to higher priced sights,(ie. brighter,easier and more accurate adjustments and better durability to name a few!
IMO an all aluminum sight is the way to go!
Welcome to the addiction,you will always find a reason to spend money,its an addiction we can't control ourselves..LOL

IL-Cornfed 04-20-2010 06:44 PM

You couldn't even imagine the difference between the cheap plastic sight you have and the all metal bomb-proof Spot-Hogg design! Man, they are night and day difference! Buy the Spot-Hogg and atleast you won't ever have to worry about another sight.

camelcluch 04-27-2010 08:14 AM

There is a difference but if you are just getting started I would take your time and learn/try as many products as you can. I have good luck at Gander Mtn's Clearance Bin. I found 2 Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rests in there for $15 a piece. If you can't afford to buy a lot, there is always someone willing to let you try a few shots with theirs. Caution- work up to the higher end gear. It hard to look backwards.

Jacob Garrett 04-27-2010 10:17 AM

You might want to check out the Viper sights. There all metal and the pins are as bright as any out there. Plus you can order the pins in any size you want and replace them yourself if you happen to find a way to break one. You should be able to get one about anywhere including the shipping for less than $100.

cartman308 04-29-2010 01:11 AM

Watch the classified sections here and other archery sites. they spot hogg sights are sold one the frequently and sometimes for VERY good prices!

GRIZZLYMAN 04-29-2010 11:16 AM

I bought a cheap accessory package deal several years ago when I got back into bowhunting and ended up replacing everything with better accessories within six months. There is a difference. I would have been better off just buying the base bow and going from there.

CJW19 05-11-2010 01:24 PM

You do not have to spend $125 on a sight. Get a bare bones aluminum sight with good adjustments and be done with it. I use a $30 Cobra that I added an extra pin to. $100 should get you a good sight, rest and most of a release. Or arrows and broadheads.

But I will tell you to get rid of the plastic sight. The one that came on my bow was a POS. When I tightened the sight pins, they would dig into the plastic, thus making it hard to adjust properly. I robbed the pins off of it and threw it in the trash.

WisconsinBowHunter 05-14-2010 04:26 PM

worth the upgrade. in a low light situation you will recieve all $125 back. I will add though you can get a pretty nice sight for less money.

Valentine 05-18-2010 05:04 PM

Newbie Country Club Archers Owe Society

at least $1200 a year for a new top of the line bow and great new accessories.

Just so us old timers can use the improvements, four years later, when the manufacturers have totally depreciated their initial engineering costs.

I sure appreciate young fellas that can't help going for that brand new glitter. they sure love that glitter and it sure makes them shoot better. Well that's what they say.