HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Is it worth it to spend the money? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/321894-worth-spend-money.html)

tsaxybabe 04-20-2010 10:49 AM

Is it worth it to spend the money?

This is my first year bowhunting (I started shooting a bow in July) and I just started out with the cheapest accessories on my bow. The sight I have right now is just the basic $20 plastic sight with 3 pins. I like the look of the Spot Hoggs (I was looking at the Right on, with 5 pins and the hogg wrap for $125). However, my fiance tells me its a waste of money because the one I have works good enough. I agree, the sight I do have works, but is it wrong to want a better one? :wink: It's a pretty good chunk of money to spend..do you think I'm better off with the better sight or should I just use the one I have? I mostly just want it for the extra pins, plus they are smaller and brighter and I have heard this sight is almost indestructible. I was recently given $100 as a gift so I have that money lying around. Your thoughts would be appreciated :)

wvnimrod 04-20-2010 03:45 PM

Well there are advantages to higher priced sights,(ie. brighter,easier and more accurate adjustments and better durability to name a few!
IMO an all aluminum sight is the way to go!
Welcome to the addiction,you will always find a reason to spend money,its an addiction we can't control ourselves..LOL

IL-Cornfed 04-20-2010 06:44 PM

You couldn't even imagine the difference between the cheap plastic sight you have and the all metal bomb-proof Spot-Hogg design! Man, they are night and day difference! Buy the Spot-Hogg and atleast you won't ever have to worry about another sight.

camelcluch 04-27-2010 08:14 AM

There is a difference but if you are just getting started I would take your time and learn/try as many products as you can. I have good luck at Gander Mtn's Clearance Bin. I found 2 Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rests in there for $15 a piece. If you can't afford to buy a lot, there is always someone willing to let you try a few shots with theirs. Caution- work up to the higher end gear. It hard to look backwards.

Jacob Garrett 04-27-2010 10:17 AM

You might want to check out the Viper sights. There all metal and the pins are as bright as any out there. Plus you can order the pins in any size you want and replace them yourself if you happen to find a way to break one. You should be able to get one about anywhere including the shipping for less than $100.

cartman308 04-29-2010 01:11 AM

Watch the classified sections here and other archery sites. they spot hogg sights are sold one the frequently and sometimes for VERY good prices!

GRIZZLYMAN 04-29-2010 11:16 AM

I bought a cheap accessory package deal several years ago when I got back into bowhunting and ended up replacing everything with better accessories within six months. There is a difference. I would have been better off just buying the base bow and going from there.

CJW19 05-11-2010 01:24 PM

You do not have to spend $125 on a sight. Get a bare bones aluminum sight with good adjustments and be done with it. I use a $30 Cobra that I added an extra pin to. $100 should get you a good sight, rest and most of a release. Or arrows and broadheads.

But I will tell you to get rid of the plastic sight. The one that came on my bow was a POS. When I tightened the sight pins, they would dig into the plastic, thus making it hard to adjust properly. I robbed the pins off of it and threw it in the trash.

WisconsinBowHunter 05-14-2010 04:26 PM

worth the upgrade. in a low light situation you will recieve all $125 back. I will add though you can get a pretty nice sight for less money.

Valentine 05-18-2010 05:04 PM

Newbie Country Club Archers Owe Society

at least $1200 a year for a new top of the line bow and great new accessories.

Just so us old timers can use the improvements, four years later, when the manufacturers have totally depreciated their initial engineering costs.

I sure appreciate young fellas that can't help going for that brand new glitter. they sure love that glitter and it sure makes them shoot better. Well that's what they say.

Boonerboys1 09-29-2010 07:18 PM

Would u rather have a mercedes or a focus yes stupid ur better off to buy the best in get it over with that was a stupid question that goes with everything the best is always good

MyName1sMud 09-30-2010 11:30 AM

Think I am going to buy a Spot-Hogg tonight for my new bow

blackhawk_archery 09-30-2010 12:03 PM

I use an old cobra site cost me 25 dollars I think at walmart,I have put a lot of meat in the freezer with it,just because something is high priced doesn't mean its the best,I shoot a fred bear bow probably a 2003 or so model and I have killed a good share of deer with it,if I did miss a deer it was not because I wasn't using a $700.00 dollar mathews,no offense to anyone who chooses to buy them high priced bows only bad part about that is the prices will just keep rising because people out there paying those prices,they are at $2,000 now and I will bet by 2 years the price on some bows will be $3,000-4,000 its getting pretty sick when a bow cost you about as much as an acre of land.

Boonerboys1 10-01-2010 06:36 PM

Well I don't give a dam if they go up to 7500 a bow I will buy it better is always best u stick to wat u got in stop ur sorry comments cause u can't afford it stop hatin dude

NEBRbruiser 10-02-2010 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Boonerboys1 (Post 3693704)
Well I don't give a dam if they go up to 7500 a bow I will buy it better is always best u stick to wat u got in stop ur sorry comments cause u can't afford it stop hatin dude

Relax DUDE. you cant afford a $7,500 bow either. your probably one of the people responsible for getting this country into this mess we are in. Think you need the best of everything and use credit to buy it and dont worry bout how your gna pay it back in the long run. Or I may be wrong? Just a guess. my bad if im wrong.

group Um Up 10-02-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Boonerboys1 (Post 3693704)

Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser (Post 3693971)
Relax DUDE. you cant afford a $7,500 bow either. your probably one of the people responsible for getting this country into this mess we are in. Think you need the best of everything and use credit to buy it and dont worry bout how your gna pay it back in the long run. Or I may be wrong? Just a guess. my bad if im wrong.

Most guys who talk like this are up to there eyes in Debt and are living by stealing from paul to pay peter. Credit Credit Credit. I mean thats why this world is where it is. I mean WNY buy top end ?

Have you ever heard the saying its not the bow its the hunter? Its the truth. I have been bow hunting since I can rememberI have had some cheap stuff on my bows and it was not cause I could not afford it its cause it worked just as good. I was Slaying buck and doe left and right with what i had . Not cause it was new CAUSE I PRACTICED WITHWHAT I HAD TO BECOME GOOD WITH IT ! ! ! Some of the best in the world Use recurves So tell me is it the bow ? in some cases yes a better bow can give you a small advantage but other than a small advantage all they do is emty your wallet.

And for someone to get on someone else about not being able to afford it ? WOW that takes balls. Come on If you have not walked a mile in the other guys shoes then You need to keep those types of comments off this Forum . We are all here to have fun andgive good advice to one another not to put one another down or in not so many words tell them there poor and there just jealouse ? Come on if youe not driving around in a Ferrarri , own a 5 million dollar house , Flying around in your own private Jet Then really you have nothing to say to anyone. And I DOUBT that you have any of the fore mentioned items you need to leave others alone.. .

Again like was said before if I am wrong the I apoligise to you but I very much doubt it ! ! !

Boonerboys1 10-02-2010 06:25 PM

Well first off let me say I'm never hurting for money so let's get that strait I buy what I want when I want I own a construction company but hey boys like I said I don't giva dam watt they go up to I've had the least in I've had the best the treatment I put things thru I like haven the sturdiest in that's the best that goes for everything not just hunting so I really don't care what land or a bow or gun goes up to I will always have new things in I'm never in debt buddy u don't no me or watt i do I pay cash for everything so I'm gona tell u like I told the other Jack off don't hate cause u can't have the finer things in life

NEBRbruiser 10-02-2010 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Boonerboys1 (Post 3694142)
Well first off let me say I'm never hurting for money so let's get that strait I buy what I want when I want I own a construction company but hey boys like I said I don't giva dam watt they go up to I've had the least in I've had the best the treatment I put things thru I like haven the sturdiest in that's the best that goes for everything not just hunting so I really don't care what land or a bow or gun goes up to I will always have new things in I'm never in debt buddy u don't no me or watt i do I pay cash for everything so I'm gona tell u like I told the other Jack off don't hate cause u can't have the finer things in life

Like I said I may have been wrong and I guess I was. My bad. Dont mean to cause hard feelings or put anyone down, thats not what these forums are for I agree. Just caught me wrong the first time I read the comment. My appology man

blackhawk_archery 10-02-2010 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Boonerboys1 (Post 3694142)

Yeah I bet you have your own company talking to people like you do I bet business is booming for you.:biggrin:

I make around 150 a day on ebay and 300 a week working for a farmer,I am not rich but I still kill plenty of deer with my 100 dollar bow.

Boonerboys1 10-03-2010 05:42 AM

I accept bruiser sorry guys god bless u all hope u all have a great season this year

tsaxybabe 10-03-2010 03:40 PM

Boonerboys1...... I could buy your a**.

:)

Boonerboys1 10-03-2010 06:05 PM

Buddy I really doubt that u must b living in a dream or sumthing any body can talk **** on a computer just drop it dude ur not worth a argument I give it to u man ur a real computer tough guy I bet u wouldn't say that to my face

tsaxybabe 10-04-2010 02:37 PM

I'm a girl, actually. Probably the only one you've ever talked to judging by your charming personality. :D

ModestBuck 10-07-2010 04:21 AM

Upgrade to this. Great sight. $70 dollars.
http://www.basspro.com/Trophy-Ridge-...684645#reviews

sixgunluvr 11-06-2010 09:11 PM

Keyboard Commandos

Originally Posted by Boonerboys1 (Post 3694240)
I accept bruiser sorry guys god bless u all hope u all have a great season this year

Ha Ha Booner Boy your a hoot. Your come on here with a measly 16 posts calling people stupid for asking a simple question about equipment and then accept an apology from someone who is gracious and humble enough to give you the benefit of the doubt.

How old are you?....12? Time to grow up a little bit son and while your working on growing up a little please work on your spelling....it makes you look.....well..stupid.

Took my limit this year with a used $175 Bear Instinct....I was smart enough to save the extra cash.

Valentine 11-24-2010 05:38 PM

One of the most difficult things

is to buy fishing and hunting products that are not the highest quality, are less expensive, and still obtain the hunting objective.

I have a backup compound bow, I bought new for $100; have an inexpensive early fiber optics sight; a totally old fashioned hunter prong rest. How would I ever come close to convincing a newbie that that bow can still harvest deer. That it could ever harvest a deer in its existence. And I'm not going to tell you the bow is over 40 inches, axle to axle. Newbies would go stark raving mad on that fact alone.

Some folks are just better primed to buy those $1200 bows. Age about killed me on that price.

ranger56528 11-25-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by tsaxybabe (Post 3615325)
This is my first year bowhunting (I started shooting a bow in July) and I just started out with the cheapest accessories on my bow. The sight I have right now is just the basic $20 plastic sight with 3 pins. I like the look of the Spot Hoggs (I was looking at the Right on, with 5 pins and the hogg wrap for $125). However, my fiance tells me its a waste of money because the one I have works good enough. I agree, the sight I do have works, but is it wrong to want a better one? :wink: It's a pretty good chunk of money to spend..do you think I'm better off with the better sight or should I just use the one I have? I mostly just want it for the extra pins, plus they are smaller and brighter and I have heard this sight is almost indestructible. I was recently given $100 as a gift so I have that money lying around. Your thoughts would be appreciated :)

There are those of us on here that have many sites and rests and do sell them for close to half the cost being we end up with more then we need........
Were is the 100 gift card for ? the reson I ask is that at alot of sport stores that will put older model sites on clearance and if you wait long enough i.e spring/early summer you can get a nice site at a reasonable cost...

ranger56528 11-25-2010 09:21 AM

Its not the price of the tool/s it the person useing the tool that makes it work or not work for it intended use....A 1200$ bow is'nt going to get ya any closer to deer then a used or older 100$ bow same goes with arrow rests/arrows and sites......Some of us started bowhunting with the old and true Whitetail Bow back in the day and now we are shooting 800-1200 dollar bows with 175.00 sites and 160.00 arrow rest....Why...Because we shoot yr round and like nice equipment...For the person that only bowhunts for a short amount of time a 300-400 set-up is all they really need if they parctice practice practice before deer season..........Besides a 320 IBO bow is'nt needed if your shots are under 30 yrds.......

bmanges 12-26-2010 01:36 PM

The great thing is that there is a great selection of equipment out there for every price range. This is a great place to get freindly advice and reviews on new and used equipment however trying to make someone feel bad or stupid because they spend to much or to little is wrongin my opinion.

all in 12-29-2010 01:06 PM

I do have to say a good sight and rest can make all the difference in the world. I still shot a Bear Whitetail II and just upgraded the other stuff as I need. Plus the best part is upgraded site comes off if you ever changes bows.