Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
What do you feel is more important in a rangefinder? >

What do you feel is more important in a rangefinder?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

What do you feel is more important in a rangefinder?

Old 01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RacHunter
As far as the angle goes I explained in a earlier post that it is the same angle as shooting a deer from 25 feet up a tree and the deer being 12 yards from the base of the tree, that is not a bad angle.
IMO IT IS,you DO NOT have a good angle on both lungs!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
IMO IT IS,you DO NOT have a good angle on both lungs!
wvnimrod,

I have a question for you.

Lets say you are hunting from a treestand that is 25'
up a tree. The tree is on level ground and you can see all around you.

What is your shortest shot you will take from this treestand?

What is the longest shot you will take from this treestand?

I'm just curious.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

wvnimrod,

I have a question for you.

Lets say you are hunting from a treestand that is 25'
up a tree. The tree is on level ground and you can see all around you.

What is your shortest shot you will take from this treestand?

What is the longest shot you will take from this treestand?

I'm just curious.
Well first off, I hunt mostly from ground blinds because I find it more of a challenge,theres nothing like being eye level with your quarry!
But when I do hunt from a stand I place my set so that I'm aprox. 20-30 yards from my preferred shoting lane! I will shot out to 30yards,but I practice out to 60 and can keep a good group at that range,although I would not take a shot on a deer at that range I have just found after 30+ yrs. that practicing at longer range makes you more accurate at closer range!
And I'm not saying that you shouldn't take a shot at that kind of an angle,BUT I AM SAYING THAT,THOSE TYPES OF SHOTS ARE NOT GOOD SHOTS!!!! yes they can be made but there is also a much higher precentage that you will not hit both lungs.And after 30+ yrs I've tracked and helped track deer that were hit in one lung for as much as 600 yards before they were recovered and then only by a second shot!!!
I just prefer not to take those chances,sometimes you maybe faced with one of those shots, but theres no reason to me to put yourself in a position where those kinda shots are all you have!!

Just last year I helped my neighbor track a doe that he hit from a stand,he was 25' up and she was at 12 yrds he made a bad shot(they do happen) and hit her a little forward and hit the front shoulder,the arrow deflected down the front shoulder slicing it open but did NOT penetrate,(he shoots a 500+gr. arrow at 65#) we found her about 250 yrds out and he was able to get another shot and we recovered her,but we were LUCKY.
That is why,shooting at those types of angles although possible,they are not GOOD SHOTS.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

Between the two of us we have 60+ years of bowhunting......whew, thats a lot of bowhunting. I agree totally about the one lung hit deer, it usually does not end well.

I do practice all year round and like you I think it helps alot to practice at longer ranges

Some things maybe we don't agree on but we are both bowhunters from West "By God" Virginia so at least we have that in common.

Have a great day and if you are ever around Flatwoods give me a shout and we can swap some stories and maybe sling a few arrows.

What part of WV are you from?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Between the two of us we have 60+ years of bowhunting......whew, thats a lot of bowhunting. I agree totally about the one lung hit deer, it usually does not end well.

I do practice all year round and like you I think it helps alot to practice at longer ranges

Some things maybe we don't agree on but we are both bowhunters from West "By God" Virginia so at least we have that in common.

Have a great day and if you are ever around Flatwoods give me a shout and we can swap some stories and maybe sling a few arrows.

What part of WV are you from?
Well we can't always agree on everything,if we did it be a pretty boring world.! But we both agree we love bowhunting and that is what really matters! And I agree between us we have 60+ years of chasing this passion we love so much! I live in August,WV and the offer to sling some stories and arrows is extended to you also!
Have a great day and keep those deer over in Flatwoods looking over there shoulder!
LIVE TO HUNT,HUNT TO LIVE!