Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Summit or Lone Wolf climber? >

Summit or Lone Wolf climber?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summit or Lone Wolf climber?

Old 05-26-2003, 08:52 AM

Default Summit or Lone Wolf climber?

Hi, I am new to the board and would like some information on what climbing tree stand I should buy this summer. I have always used wooden stands but now have some new ground I have to use climbers. I have never used a climber and I am debating on either a Summit or Lone Wolf.

I heard both are good, but I would like any advice for a new person trying to climb with a climber. Which one would be better, safer etc. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Summit or Lone Wolf climber?

If you are new to climbing you might be best served with a cliber with the wraparound bar.........that way you can " Sit down Stand Up" style of climbing which is very easy and safe.

I' ve played with the Lone Wolfs and own Summit. The Lone Wolf' s are nice.....they are very light, not confortable with the platform seat, and the platform itself flexes(at least under my weight) I just didn' t feel safe with one.

Honestly the Summit climbers are the ONLY stands I' ve ever used that make me almost totally at ease being 22ft up a tree. Rock solid....a tad heavy depending upon model, but they aren' t going to shift, flex or do anything when you are up there. With my Goliath I feel Like I' m standing on my living room floor. I' m tall so the bar in front is of little concern for bowhunting....I just set it a little lower than I would for rifle hunting.
I added a thermal mat on the platform,a footrest, and a front gear bag and it ends up like sitting in a Lazy Boy. These stands are so comfortable that you just sort of melt into the seats.
I would highly recommend any of the cable style climbers from Summit.

Models to check if you want a front bar would be the Viper XLS, Goliath XLS
Without the bar, the most comfy stand is the Cobra XLS, and the Bushmaster is pretty comfy but without the sling style seat so its not AS comfortable as the others......but its a nice economical choice and a good one for bowhunting.
Summit also has the new " Bullet" stand which is a climber with a fold down design so that it packs flat on your back.....

I' d say play with a bunch if you can, butI' d be willing to bet you find your way out the door with a Summit.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:23 PM

Thank you for the information. Looks like I will be leaning towards the Summit.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:36 PM

If stand weight (carry long distances, move often, etc) is an important factor, the lone wolf is an excellent stand.
As far as stabilty,goes, I am 175 lbs and have never felt anything but solid in the LW climber. No flex whatsoever.
Summit makes a great stand, but their lightest climber is still too heavy for me and the way I hunt. I would buy one if they made it under 13lbs or or...
Old 05-28-2003, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

I bought a brand new Summit Cobra last year. I tried it a couple of times and although it was a great climbing stand I sold it to try the Lone Wolf. In my instance the Lone Wolf was and is exactly what I wanted........I love it!
Old 05-30-2003, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

I have the Lone Wolf " sit and climb" . It bites the tree like a pit bull. Never felt more secure in a stand. Never owned a Summit so I can' t comment on them. But since I bought my LW, I now have a nearly new Warren & Sweat cam lock Imperial for sale....
Old 05-31-2003, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used a Lone wolf, but have tried many other styles and brands. For me Summit has all the featurea I demand of a stand in one package. I highly recomend them. Matt/pa pretty much spelled out the details for you. I agree try them all and you will most likely leave with a Summit.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:12 AM

Well heres my 2 cents. I' ve climbed with alot of different types of stands and the pros and cons are spelled out between these two pretty good so far. But you said you are new to climbers so there is one thing you should look at, adjustment. I use a Timber Tall brand climber cause I hate getting into a tree and leaning away from it in my stand. Comfort and safety go hand in hand, you can have all the safety straps and harness in the world but if you misjudge the size of the tree at 20' in the air your not comfortable. Prices are around the same, but as said before me, look around and compare. Again, just my $.02, and 25 years experience.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:31 PM

I' ve owned many stands and my Summit Viper is by far the nicest, most
comfortable, well made stand I' ve ever used. There are many nice stands
out there but I would lean towards Summit.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:00 AM

Thanks to all for the advice. I will probably go with the Summit. I haven' t heard to many negative things.

PS...just bought a new Mathews LX yesterday and I would highly recommend it!

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Summit or Lone Wolf climber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.