Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
my first hunt and a lot of questions >

my first hunt and a lot of questions

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

my first hunt and a lot of questions

Old 10-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default my first hunt and a lot of questions

Ok, so some of you know I'll be going on my first hunt and I'm a little green behind the ears as they say....
I have gotten confident enough with my bow and set up but that leaves a whole other bunch of stuff I am wondering about.
The outfitter told me to bring some climbers and a treestand if I got any. But I am stubborn and want to hunt on the ground, trusting my predator camo and maybe a screen of some sort.
Any tips on screens ?
If I decide to get a treestand, what do you guys think of the treesuit stand in combination with climbersticks. I want to know how comfortable this thing is.
I'm using slick tricks 125gr standard ones for deer and wild boar around 100lbs, should I stick with them or go for the magnums ?

Frank
Belgium

thank you for the many replies I will be getting...........
Old 10-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id stick with the Tricks if I were you. You shouldnt have to worry too much about penetration with them for deer or hogs.

As far as the treestand situation goes though... I would always prefer to be in stand under almost ANY deer hunting situation b/c you can see a lot more. Being on the ground trying to hunt deer, and it being your first time, may be a bit of an eye opener as to how tricky ground hunting really is. Its up to you, and if that is how you wanna do it, then by all means stick with the ground, but me personally... Ill take the tree 98% of the time.

I cant really give much insight on the stand you mentioned. Wish I could. Most of the stands I hunt in are either home made, or hodge podges of hang on and ladder stands... I love my summit climber as well tho. Very comfortable and easy to set up.

Good luck!

Derek
Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Advice

Get off the ground. Chances increase when scent is in the air above the deer or hogs.

Sticks work well. Screw in steps work well as well.

Most stands are easy to set up and are comfortable.

Check out the tree saddle, very popular.

Link

http://www.trophylineusa.com/videos_photos.php

DB

Last edited by OklaBowhunter; 10-05-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Spike

I find it odd that your outfitter doesn't have his own stand sites. But maybe you are going to be hunting on public land, which means that you would have to bring your own stand....I always thought that the only responsibility you as the hunter would have while with an outfitter is to take the shot, and not worry about setting a tree stand or any of that.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

I only hunt from the ground too. I can't stand sitting still for any length of time.

Slick tricks are excellent broadheads.

What is your setup?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default the story

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowh...st-succes.html

shooting a 82nd airborne at 57#, with easton FMJ's and 125gr slick trick magnums. Arrows weighing around 400gr.
she ain't too fast but she digs in deep !

F.