Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
need advice for good hunting bow >

need advice for good hunting bow

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

need advice for good hunting bow

Old 10-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Spike

Default need advice for good hunting bow

Hey folks,

I'm new here. I've got a Parker compound bow which I'm happy with. My son who is 14 will be hunting this year with his own tags. I would like to get a good bow for him that will last a lifetime. Something that he can use at age 14 and then be adjusted for when he becomes fully grown. What advice can you folks give me?

Thanks,

John
Old 10-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by johnnyf
Hey folks,

I'm new here. I've got a Parker compound bow which I'm happy with. My son who is 14 will be hunting this year with his own tags. I would like to get a good bow for him that will last a lifetime. Something that he can use at age 14 and then be adjusted for when he becomes fully grown. What advice can you folks give me?

Thanks,

John
the overwhelming response you are going to get is for a diamond razors edge, so i will just link yah now and save ya reading lol
and a buy link too
Old 10-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

I would recommend the Hoyt powerhawk.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find him a 3-4 year old used bow that will fit him now and you can adjust as he grows. Odds are by age 20 he will want to buy his own so don't buy new. Bows in that 30-34 inch A to A range would be good.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

I've gone through three 14 year old sons, and each one was a lot different at 14 than they are now. My opinion is that the notion of buying a bow for him, now, that will "last a lifetime" is too, too optimistic. It seems I'm not alone in that opinion.

My 24 yr old is now on his 3rd bow since he was 14: my 21 yr old is on his second, as is the 19 yr old. Strangely enough, I'm only on my second new bow in that same time.

Work with him to select a bow that fits him today, and let him grow with it. When he's 18, hopefully he's outgrown it, both in his height (affects draw length) and strength (draw weight); and most importantly, in his archery skills.

Just like when many of us were teenagers, "speed rules", but in the archery world it's expressed in feet per minute and not quarter mile drag times.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

wow, what a can of worms, right?

i started shooting my grandfathers bear super mag, 38 inches axle to axle, when I was 12, it was equipped for quebec moose at the time, and when he passed away i used it to take my first deer at 16.

i bought a bear instinct 3 years ago and love it. i shot hoyts, mathews, reflex's, etc but felt partial to the brand i guess, but more importantly being fascinated by all of the options i had

best advice i can give? buy something used, adjust it accordingly to make it "his" and get comfortable shooting it...make it hard for him to want a new bow when the time comes...i know when my range of 20 yards and in was no longer acceptable to me, shooting other bows during the archery league i was a part of, and making the upgrade was difficult, but opened up so much more hunting for me, as well as shooting opportunities during 3D tournaments, archery is fun again, still challenging, and i love it everyday
Old 10-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Spike

I would go with the new Diamond Razor Edge. It is adjustable from 19 inch to 29 inch draw length and 30 lbs. to 60 lbs. with out a bow press. I'm 13 and this bow is just exactly what I needed. They are extremly quiet and powerful. Easy set up but I would recommend getting a whisker biscuit and new sights if you get the package, but other then that great bow.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

ive never heard anything bad about the razor edge. I have a diamond and it is a very smoothe bow. Not the fastest but fun to shoot, which is more important. Since a majority of shooting is in practice it needs to be enjoyable. And I agree try and find a used one, it will be much cheaper
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

i agree, he will outgrow it, and well he could out grow it in a year in some cases (draw length thing) so find a good used bow that fits him now and worry bout it when he outgrows it, maybe he is done grown and it will last longer..ya never know
Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought my son a Diamond. You cant go wrong with the adjustability of these bows. My son shoots it at 21" draw and in about 30 seconds I can have my wife shooting at 26" of draw. Nice little bows.