Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Thunderheads....?

Old 05-12-2003, 07:35 PM

Default Thunderheads....?

I' m going to go with the Thunderhead 100' s and was wondering how many people used them. I' m trying to find everything possible about them. I see them in Cabelas catalog and was wondering if there is a big difference between Pro Series Thunderheads and the regular ones?
Old 05-13-2003, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thunderheads....?

They are an excellent broadhead. The only thing about them I would be concerned about is that the little rubber o-ring that is part of the rear assembly of the head can get mashed out of shape. Especially with small diameter carbon arrows. This is however a minor potential problem and can be cured with the use of a little metal washer that NAP sells. I have used them before and wouldn' t hesitate to go back to them again. They along with Rocky Mountain Titaniums have the sharpest replaceable blades straight out of the box that I have encountered. They fly great and are not too hard on the pocketbook as well. As for the Pro Series version? Well to be honset I just don' t see any difference that justifies paying that much more money for them. They have grooves on the center ferule that is supposed to be of some benefit but I seriously doubt there is actually a bit of difference in the performance of the Pro Series heads.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think Todd1700 gave you some excellent advice. I couldn' t have said it better.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:57 AM

I haven' t shot the Thunderheads but I have shot plenty of Spitfires . I personally prefer the Pro series . It' s only a couple $ more . I' m not sure either whether the grooves in the ferrule make a very noticable difference in arrow flight or penetration, but I will say the finish on the ferrule and nickel plated tip on the pro-series is much better than the regulars . My used regular Spitfires are scratched all up and the tips have rusted (they look very used), my used Pro-series Spitfires have all taken multiple deer/varmits and all still look brand new . JMHO .....but I think that' s worth the $2-3 a pack .
Old 05-13-2003, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You made a great choice, the Thunderhead 100' s are good heads. I' ve been shooting these broadheads for many years and have never had any reason to change. I' ve never had a problem with the rubber o-ring myself. I shoot goldtips and now buy the carbon thunderheads which are the same as regular thunderheads but they include the metal washer that was mentioned or you can just buy those seperate. I also wouldn' t pay the extra bucks for the pro series because i just don' t think there' s that much difference other than looks.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:04 AM

Thunderheads are probably the most durable broadheads on the market. They are tough no no-nonsens broadheads that will last a long time and get the job done. Spend the extra couple of bucks and get the pro series. You' ll be happy with em.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:45 AM

i believe nap makes a thunderhead now for carbon arrows ? i use the 85s (regular)and they fly great.

Old 05-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

I have used Thunderheads for years with much success. Many pass thrus and a few poor shots (hunter error) that still wound up as venision in the freezer. I once hit a doe (100 lb dressed weight) though both shoulders. The arrow did not pass completely through, but would up with about 6" of shaft sticking out of the exit side. There was only 1 blade slightly bent. I have never had any problems with the O-ring either. So, IMHO, you can' t go wrong with them.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:40 PM

I use Thunderhead 100' s. Have never used anything else. Don' t forget the attainability factor.
You can get them at any Wal-mart in case of an " emergency" .
Old 05-23-2003, 09:24 PM

I was told by an engineer at NAP that it is physically impossible to get the blades of of a Thunderhead any sharper.

Quick Reply: Thunderheads....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.