Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Crimson tallons initial report. >

Crimson tallons initial report.

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Crimson tallons initial report.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Crimson tallons initial report.

I got the heads that Scott promised me in the mail today.

Initially the blades could be a bit sharper. I only shot them for accuracy as I do not have the place to do any testing like 5 shot does. Anyway they grouped very tight and are an accurate head. I managed to cut a few vanes at 20 yards and ended up bending a blade on one of the heads as it got struck from another head inside the target. The aerofoil design certainly does keep the spinning after they enter the target.

I have two complaints about the heads. #1) the blades definetly need to be sharper. #2) the heads make a noticible hissing sound flying through the air.

The furrell is like a 6 bladed muzzy would be except that the main blade actually wraps around the inside of the furrel and comes back out the slot next to it for the smaller blades. If you can picture this, the six blades are actually only three pieces of steel that make a u-turn inside the furrel to form two separate blades. The tip is essentially just like a Muzzy tip.

5 Shot I will be sending you two heads, if you still haven' t gotten any yourself, so can put them through their paces. One of them has been shot into a layerd foam target and the other is new. I wanted you to be able to judge the blade sharpness yourself. I' ll mark them so you will know the difference.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crimson tallons initial report.

Bigbulls, thanks for the initial report. I was wondering about the blades. I sort of thought it would end up being as you described. That would be a good way to secure the blades and still get a secure 6 blade head. I look foward to testing them and I really appreciate you sending the heads.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

So let me ask you two this....do you think the blades induce enough spin on their own so that the arrow could be equipped with straight vanes?
Old 05-08-2003, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

bigbulls, I never knew that Muzzy made a six bladed head.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I e-mailed Scott about the sharpness and the noise and he told me that the sample heads had hand made blades on them and that the actual production heads would be a lot sharper. He also said the noise I was hearing was due to the heads spinning the shaft faster than the fletchings normally would. That might be true cause as I pulled the arrow out of the target there was considerable spin of the arrow as it continued in the target.
So let me ask you two this....do you think the blades induce enough spin on their own so that the arrow could be equipped with straight vanes?
That is exactly what the directions tell you to use and reccomend against helical and offset vanes. They reccomend a straight 3" vane or feather.
I never knew that Muzzy made a six bladed head.
They don' t, I said they are like a 6 blade muzzy would be...

I' m going to shoot a couple on a bare shaft and see how they do. OK, You definetly still need some vanes on the back to keep the arrow going straight but the noise was gone without any vanes on the back of the arrow. And they do still spin the arrow without any vanes.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are looking for a good 6 mlade head the GKF Dead Heads are good ones.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

So would it be a safe assumption that a straight vane that has some stiffness,like Flex Fletch, wouldn' t produce as much noise as an AAE vane or Duravane.

I am really liking the broadheads but I CAN' T live with noise coming from my arrows.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Big, actually I just bought a dozen of them last December (six bladed GKF). I have not used them yet. But plan to this year.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:58 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I just checked their web site. At first I laughed, then I saw this:

" ABSOLUTELY NO TUNING REQUIRED! Simply screw-on and hunt! "
Talk about irresponsible marketing! Sorry, but telling people they don' t have to tune their bows always hacks me off. [:@]
Old 05-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

JRW,they didn' t say not to tune your BOW they said you don' t have to tune the broadheads.Things like indicating them on the shafts and re papering or whatever your choice of tuning is.They also didn' t say not to check them to see if they are tuned they just said it wasn' t going to need tuning.It is up to the individual to check and see if the bow and arrows are still tuned with each other.

I quess they are assuming that a responsible hunter has already got his bow tuned and the broadhead isn' t going to change anything.

Just my take on it.

Quick Reply: Crimson tallons initial report.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.