Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 suggestions for a new sight?? >

suggestions for a new sight??

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

suggestions for a new sight??

Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: suggestions for a new sight??

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Take a very serious look at the Spot-Hogg series sights. My personal fav is the Hunter Hogg-It .019". You'll NEVER have to worry about breaking any fiber optics again if you buy the Hogg-wrap model. This sight is absolutely bomb-proof! Once you own one and get the chance to shoot one for yourself, you'll quickly rralize why they are the sights that all others are compared to.
I have the same sight and I love it. If you needed to save $40 or $50 another choice is the Spot-Hogg Real Deal. The way these sights adjust are just fantastic. The vertical wire helps me a lot while lining up on the target, especially between pins. Each pin also adjusts left and right, since I shoot with glasses the pins are slightly out of focus. This gives methe impression that red pins are to the left of their actual position compared to yellow and green pins. With me the red pins always shot three or fourinches to the right at thirty yards, now I just adjust each pin individually right and left until I'm sighted in. If I ever have to replace the fibers I'll probably switch them all out with green so this won't be an issue, but for now the adjustment works. No matter which one you choose check with MeanV, even if its not on his website ask him anyway. I've save quite a bit of money this way.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the suggestions guys.. havent been on in a while lol
Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

What single pin with a slider is the easiest to use?[/align]
Old 07-06-2009, 03:24 AM
Typical Buck

their all pretty similar. I like the HHA
Old 07-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cartman308

their all pretty similar. I like the HHA
What makes the HHA your choice?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

I liked the way the fiber was wrapped in the sight housing with lots of metal on both sides to protect it. Only exposed part was where it came out of the housing to the pin head (inside the housing). If you took a stick through the pin houseing you may break the fiber.......but if the stick is big enough and you hit hard enough, you'd break any sight. I think the new armor pin in the HHAs have the fiber enclosed. Sights are built solid. Pins are bright. I like the rhostat on the 55xx series of sights. You can adjust pin brightness by covering some of the fiber. the more exposed fiber the brighter the pin. I just thought they were built a bit stouter than the VBG or Trophy Ridge sights. Not that those are bad sights though, just thought the HHA was a notch better.

good luck chosing. There are very few sights out there that aren't worth using. It's just what you get used to that will be best for you.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cartman308

I liked the way the fiber was wrapped in the sight housing with lots of metal on both sides to protect it. Only exposed part was where it came out of the housing to the pin head (inside the housing). If you took a stick through the pin houseing you may break the fiber.......but if the stick is big enough and you hit hard enough, you'd break any sight. I think the new armor pin in the HHAs have the fiber enclosed. Sights are built solid. Pins are bright. I like the rhostat on the 55xx series of sights. You can adjust pin brightness by covering some of the fiber. the more exposed fiber the brighter the pin. I just thought they were built a bit stouter than the VBG or Trophy Ridge sights. Not that those are bad sights though, just thought the HHA was a notch better.

good luck chosing. There are very few sights out there that aren't worth using. It's just what you get used to that will be best for you.
What about the slide adjustment? Is it easy to move and set?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Geronimo

What about the slide adjustment? Is it easy to move and set?
Extremely! You just have a knurled knob that you loosen and slide to desired position. NO grunting or straining required. they slide on nylon bushings so it's pretty smooth. Don't worry about wearing them out, not enough speed/heat to wear the bushings. I suppose if you put it on a machine and moved it constantly they may wear out eventually.

I haven't tried the sight tapes yet cause haven't stopped tinkering with my setup. So how accurate they will be for my bow i don't know. Blank tapes are supplies and that is what most people use anyway.

I have mine set for 25 yards and "locked down" knob tightend, for hunting. I'd just hold a bit high for a 30-40 yard shot...... or miss low...... If i miss (and I did) it would be a range estimation error (and it was) and not a "I used the wrong pin" excuse.....
Old 07-07-2009, 03:42 PM

Sword sights theyre awesome and very tuff and dont run you that high
Old 07-08-2009, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

I had a Trophy Ridge matrix 5 pin sight for a couple of years and the fibers were never bright enough. I researched it a while and found the HHA single pin sight was what I was looking for. As far as going from a 5 pin sight to a 1 pin adjustable sight, There were minimal issues getting use to the 1 pin sight. I really like the versatility of the 1 pin sight. I can dial my bow out to 60 yard shots. Would I ever take a 60 yard shot?, probably not but I do have options. It takes Practice, just like other sights but the one pin sight eliminates confusion on which pin to use. You know when you practice enough, just what your bow will do out to40 yards, With most bows today you can set your pin at 30 yards and aimslightly a little lower if you have the deer at 20 yards anda little higher if you have the deer at40 yards. Just my opinion and my preference now

Quick Reply: suggestions for a new sight??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.