Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Bowstring for Switchback XT >

Bowstring for Switchback XT

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bowstring for Switchback XT

Old 04-24-2009, 03:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bowstring for Switchback XT

Need a replacement string and cables formy Mathews Switchback XT. It came with the Zebra Barracuda string. Is this the best string for my bow or is there another out there maybe not as pricey?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowstring for Switchback XT

Not sure MidSouth... I replaced my XTs stings/cables once and did have them put a new Zebra / Baracuda set on... I hadn't heard anything else from people... I don't see anything wrong w/ them....

Old 04-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zebras have never had a good reputation. They have been known to constantly creep (elongate) which changes the draw length, draw weight and generally the tune of the bow. Some people say they have had good luck with them and no doubt there are a few, but you have to consider the experience level of the shooter and just whether they can tell whether a bow changes. Besides, it's usually a slow process.

That being said, Barracudas are generall a little better, but being made or marketed by the same company a lot of those in the know switch to good aftermarket strings right from the git-go and be done with it.

You could do a search for "aftermarket" or "custom" strings and find a lot of info on some of the makers. You likely won't find a whole lot cheaper, but you'll get better quality in the end.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

I have heard and experienced the the same thing about the Zebra Barracuda'. It seems the string always turns and it has been hard to maintain a true peep view with the string no matter how many times I had it turned for proper alignment. I have heard good things about winners choice from post on these forums so I may try them. Ever dealt with them?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd personally opt for WC, Vapor Trails, or Buck Nasty's I have a special going on Vapor Trails.

If you are interested shoot me a PM.

Dan

Old 04-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Winner's Choice and, I think it's, America's Best are good. Go to the Mathews' site and get on the fourms. They will tell you asap.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

Just got the Winners Choice. Now have to convince the shop to install it without charging to much. They get all worked up if you don't buy it from them. They were pushing the Zebra string but thatwas not what I wanted. I always thought the customer was always right especially since it is their money. Ha. May have to find another bow shop to install it. Ha
Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

let me know how you make out w/ it midsouth... how much was the WC sting?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 AM
Fork Horn

Will do, paid $77 for both the cable and string combo
Old 04-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: midsouth_hunter

Will do, paid $77 for both the cable and string combo
That's not too bad a price for WC. Of course you'll end up paying for installation. I see that the shop was pushing you to get Zebras. That's because the profit margin on them is really good. Oh, now you need to put out the do-re-me for a Bowmaster pres. Then you'll be able to learn and do your own work without having to deal with a possible questionable shop. The more you learn the more you'll like doing your own work.

Quick Reply: Bowstring for Switchback XT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.