Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

flecthing feathers

Old 04-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default flecthing feathers

I just got through reading the post on blazers vrs feathers and although I have shot vanes of some type for 20 yrs and I currently shoot blazers and I do like the way they perform,I was thinking of doing up some arrows with feathers and was hoping I could get some advice as to what type of feathers to get,can they be flecthed with an arizona flecther,what type glue to use,ect.I'm only interested in a hunting set-up.I toyed with them when i first got in to bowhunting but I don't remember much about it.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: flecthing feathers

You can use either Trueflight or Gateway. Trueflight usually has a better base to glue to, but they both work. Your main concern is to get the correct "hand". If your clamp is right or left helical then you buy feathers for that clamp. If you have a straight clamp and fletch with an offset then you buy feathers accordingly. Right hand for right offset and left hand for left offset.

For glue I always use Fletchtite Platinum, but you can use whatever you use for your vanes. And you prepare your arrows the same, too.

I know someone is going to suggest using the RazyR vanes, but I'll tell you that I use them and regardless they are a 2" feather. You should use 4" feathers for most hunting setups. Color is up to you, but I'd suggest purple and pink---LOL.

Have fun.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good info BG! I might add take a look at the feathers on my website. Quality is equal to or better than any feather on the market and the price is hard to beat.

I have used Razr feathers, but I prefer 4" for hunting. Weight with 4" feathers is not an issue.

Dan
Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend fletching tape to put them on. It is really easy to apply, works well with feathers and holds them tight.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mez

I would recommend fletching tape to put them on. It is really easy to apply, works well with feathers and holds them tight.
Good point! I glue some feathers on but 99% of the time Feathers get taped on.

Easy, quick, & neat!!

Dan
Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info guys,may dabble some,is the tape easy to work with,I like to keep it simple.Purple and pink uhmmmmmm may have to think about that.I would be different thats for sure.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

thanks for the info guys,may dabble some,is the tape easy to work with,I like to keep it simple.Purple and pink uhmmmmmm may have to think about that.I would be different thats for sure.
The Fletching tape is super simple!

Dan
Old 04-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always forget about the tape. Now I have a question for you guys that use it. Bohning, right? Reason I ask is that I used this fletching tape about 15 years ago when it was first manufactured. It held the feathers on pretty well and is quick, but once on the arrows the feather wanted to take it's natural curl and that's what it did on the arrow. In othe words, the end didn't stay put. I always spot glue the ends and this helped, but was before the days of the super glues so it didn't work 100%.

Is the tape any different today? I might have to try it again.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

BG, I can remember that problem years ago, but haven't noticed in recent years.

I do spot glue the ends with Fletchtite Platinum.

Dan
Old 04-13-2009, 11:14 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I haven't had that trouble, I use the Bohning tape. I think it recommeds on the package to spot glue the ends but I haven't been on my recurve arrows and they are staying put.

Quick Reply: flecthing feathers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.