Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 My Tech talks about Blazers . . . >

My Tech talks about Blazers . . .

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

My Tech talks about Blazers . . .

Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My Tech talks about Blazers . . .

ORIGINAL: jag-mag

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

While I am not a Big fan of Blazers. I think your Tech guy is in LaLa landI wouldn't worry about the wind causing a problem.

Dan
Dan what is it about the blazers that you don't care for? I shoot blazers and I'm a little curious about
what you have to say, and I do respect your opinions.
Don't really have anything against Blazers. I do think they cause a lot of clearance issues that are easily avoidable with other options.

Even though I shoot arrows during the summer fletched with several different combos including Blazers in the Fall I always go back to feathers. Which I believe are the Best all around choice.

Dan
Old 03-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

If feathers are so awesome in your opionion. Why do less than 10% use them for tournament shooting? If they were so much more accurate. Wouldnt tournament pros be using them? Vanes are more durable and more accurate. Feathers wont hold up even in something a simple as indoor shooting let only practice in the outdoors.
DB
Old 03-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OklaBowhunter

If feathers are so awesome in your opionion. Why do less than 10% use them for tournament shooting? If they were so much more accurate. Wouldnt tournament pros be using them? Vanes are more durable and more accurate. Feathers wont hold up even in something a simple as indoor shooting let only practice in the outdoors.
DB
Just because the majority doesn't use Feathers does not mean they are not the best.[8D]

Better control than any other fletching, Period. As a Hunter that's what I want.

I realize most will go the cheaper routes, because they do work, just not quite as good

Dan
Old 03-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

DB
Who said anything about tournaments? They are not the be-all end all to archery, DB- some of us couldn't give a crap what "pros" shoot or "tournaments". Pros shoot whatever they are given, or paid to shoot- and thus they jump from company to company year in and year out if they are not getting the "deal" they need/want.

pros shoot vanes for less downrange velocity decay, and the fact that feathers won't hold up on a spring blade style rest (again what alot of "pros" use).

Put a fixed blade broadhead on the front of your arrow, and feathers kick vanes to the curb.

Have a form goof under pressure which causes contact with a rest or cable, or if you hit a twig you didn;t see and those vanes flop around like a fish out of water and your broadhead planes off line. Ever watched slo-mo footage of vanes vs. feathers?

If it's raining so hard that your feathers get soaking wet, you've got no busniness bowhunting cos any bloodtrail will get washed away. Modern feather sprays and powders work fine, and the addition of a fletch cover will help in a moderate rain or snow if yo are that worried. I hunted with feathers for YEARS and never had one of these mythical "feathers collapse in the rain" issues. I also leave the woods if it's pouring. For those Pacific Northwest guys, I could see this being an issue, but for 95% of the bowhunters out there feather would work just fine.

However, vanes are FAR more affected by chnage in temperature- ever spray one with food powder? the compressed cold air makes them stiffen up and shrink- Same thing happens when you take your bow out of your nice toasty case/truck and walk to your stand in cold weather.

Bottom line- they have both issues, they both excel, and you cannot say one is overall better. I stopped listening to "pros" years ago- most of them are only concerned with cha-ching- especially in the current state of this industry (i.e. which is a joke)
Old 03-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JeffB

DB
Who said anything about tournaments? They are not the be-all end all to archery, DB- some of us couldn't give a crap what "pros" shoot or "tournaments". Pros shoot whatever they are given, or paid to shoot- and thus they jump from company to company year in and year out if they are not getting the "deal" they need/want.

pros shoot vanes for less downrange velocity decay, and the fact that feathers won't hold up on a spring blade style rest (again what alot of "pros" use).

Put a fixed blade broadhead on the front of your arrow, and feathers kick vanes to the curb.

Have a form goof under pressure which causes contact with a rest or cable, or if you hit a twig you didn;t see and those vanes flop around like a fish out of water and your broadhead planes off line. Ever watched slo-mo footage of vanes vs. feathers?

If it's raining so hard that your feathers get soaking wet, you've got no busniness bowhunting cos any bloodtrail will get washed away. Modern feather sprays and powders work fine, and the addition of a fletch cover will help in a moderate rain or snow if yo are that worried. I hunted with feathers for YEARS and never had one of these mythical "feathers collapse in the rain" issues. I also leave the woods if it's pouring. For those Pacific Northwest guys, I could see this being an issue, but for 95% of the bowhunters out there feather would work just fine.

However, vanes are FAR more affected by chnage in temperature- ever spray one with food powder? the compressed cold air makes them stiffen up and shrink- Same thing happens when you take your bow out of your nice toasty case/truck and walk to your stand in cold weather.

Bottom line- they have both issues, they both excel, and you cannot say one is overall better. I stopped listening to "pros" years ago- most of them are only concerned with cha-ching- especially in the current state of this industry (i.e. which is a joke)
I hunt! Have for over 25yrs. I also shoot Broadhead tournaments with Blazers. I can show you accuracy with Vanes if you think feathers are so much more accurate. I can put them in a Hooter Shooter and prove there just as accurate. Take the human error out of the arrow. Feathers are noisier than vanes. I do hunt in the rain. Often bad weather is the only weather you get in the fall. I use what is going to give me the best chance for harvesting that trophy. Shoot what works for you. I DO!
Jeff when I say Pros, Im talking guys who work for the arrow companys. Tim Strickland/Tim Gillingham. When these guys advsie me! I listen and then go test it for myself.
DB

Old 03-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

DB
Just because the majority doesn't use Feathers does not mean they are not the best.[8D]

Better control than any other fletching, Period. As a Hunter that's what I want.

I realize most will go the cheaper routes, because they do work, just not quite as good

Dan
Hopefully one day we can go shoot broadheads. I have talked to Guys at Easton/Goldtip and listen when they talked. One must find what works for them. Its not about cheaper for me. Its about what hits groups down at 30yrds. Where feathers might help someone is where they are getting contact with the rest. Fall aways have elimanated that promblem.
DB
DB
Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

DB, I won't get into a pointless argument but I do know what works best for me as well asmany others.

Feathers are more forgiving, faster at hunting ranges, and give a broadhead tipped arrow better FOC.

All things that are important to me.

You shoot your Blazers or whatever you want. I never said they don't work. They are just not the best choice for me!

Dan
Old 03-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

I shot feathers for a few years and switched to blazers and shot them for 3 years and now just switched back to feathers. I have not had issues with either I just prefer the feathers.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

It is all about what work for you. Good luck.

FOC can easily be achieved by vanes or feathers. Both work and will kill deer.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan, when you use feathers are you using the Razr's or one of the parabolic feathers?

Quick Reply: My Tech talks about Blazers . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.