Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

childs first bow

Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 PM

Default childs first bow

my oldest daughter is interested in shooting a bow. she just turned 6 and is of average size for a girl. she is the first of my four children . What I'm looking for is a very adjustable childs compound that can shoot 20 yrds without a problem. would anyone have any expierience with anything of this nature? Anyone see this new fuse bow for kids?looks like the wispercreek??? any input would be great.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Spike

Default RE: childs first bow

Take a look at the Diamond Razor Edge Bow. My Sister In-Law bought one and loves it. It isprobably the mostajustable bow on the market. It is by far the quietest bow I have ever heard. It will be a great bowfor your daughter and she can shoot itfor years. Gander Mountain had it on sale a week ago for I think $239 for the ready to shoot package. Good Luck. Here are the specs:

IBO SPEED: 308 FPS

A2A LENGTH: 31"

BRACE HEIGHT: 7"

DRAW WEIGHTS: 15-30# or 30-60#

DRAW LENGTHS: 19-29"

BOW MASS: 3.8 LBS.

BOW FINISH: REALTREE HARDWOODS

ECCENTRICS: TWIN CAM

LET-OFF: 75%

LIFETIME WARRANTY

Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Diamond Razor Edge is a Great choice for a starter bow that will grow and stay with anyone for years to come. There are many ladies that shoot the Razors Edge, it definitely is not short on performance. I now have the Diamond and Ross lines on my website, ifanyone hasno dealers close.

Dan
Old 03-02-2009, 02:38 PM
bigcountry

IMO, best bow to start out a youngun on is a nice longbow or recurve. I was making one for my son and had a slight mishap, and getting ready on another one. Nice 44-50" bow 12" draw at 18" is perfect. Its the basics every archer should learn IMO. And good news is, it will grow with them. As they get stronger, the bow's draw gets stronger. Trust me, one day your child will thank you for starting them out with the basics of a longbow.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not saying a recurve or longbow is a Bad thing, but hardly the best choice for a young'un unless they plan on staying traditional.

1. a Razors Edge will grow with them as much as a recurve.

2. shooting fingers then switching over to release can be a project in itself.

If they don't plan on being a Trad shooter, they might as well be taught the basics of compound release shooting from the very start. The nice letoff on a compound also makes it easier for the little ones to hold at full draw while they learn to aim and properly use a release aid.

Dan
Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I'm not saying a recurve or longbow is a Bad thing, but hardly the best choice for a young'un unless they plan on staying traditional.

1. a Razors Edge will grow with them as much as a recurve.

2. shooting fingers then switching over to release can be a project in itself.

If they don't plan on being a Trad shooter, they might as well be taught the basics of compound release shooting from the very start. The nice letoff on a compound also makes it easier for the little ones to hold at full draw while they learn to aim and properly use a release aid.

Dan
Total BS. Its the basics. I know you probably sell these bows, so I can understand your promotion.

Its the basics. I learned the basics off trad bows, moved to compounds for over 20 years back to the basics. Those basics helped me more than anything.

But I admit, compounds is the easiest shortcut. But with that attitude, just teach em to gunhunt and be done with it.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hardly BS BC[8D]Just fact! How many kids have you setup and seen try to make the transition? I can sell you a Trad bow too. I always get a kick out of people thinking I can only deal with one item!

I try to steer people the direction that will save them money and time in the long run.

Nothing against Trad if that's the way they plan on shooting.

Dan
Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Hardly BS BC[8D]Just fact! How many kids have you setup and seen try to make the transition? I can sell you a Trad bow too. I always get a kick out of people thinking I can only deal with one item!

I try to steer people the direction that will save them money and time in the long run.

Nothing against Trad if that's the way they plan on shooting.

Dan
Well, you got your opinion, and I know what I know Dan. The poster asked a question, and you gave yours and I gave mine.

Since I am in the trad community, I see quite a few make the transition. Its a very simple one. I remember back over 20 years ago when I went from fingers to a crackshot release. It was a piece of cake. No real effort. My groups got smaller is all. Same with going from a trad to compound. No real effort.