Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 3 blade mechanical broadhead >

3 blade mechanical broadhead

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

3 blade mechanical broadhead

Old 04-10-2003, 01:08 PM

Default 3 blade mechanical broadhead

what is the best 3 blade mechanical broadhead?
Old 04-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 3 blade mechanical broadhead

Well you could probably start a fist fight with that question in a bar but here is my two cents. I have shot a lot of different heads and the best by far to me is the Rocket Steelhead in either 100 or 125 grain. They don' t have the huge cutting diameter of some heads but they are tough, accurate and hands down without any doubt they out penetrate any other expandable on the market. In fact I shot this head along with a 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy, a Steelforce 100 grain, and a Slick Trick 100 grain through a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood from a distance of 25 yards out of a 70lb Mathews Q2 with a 28 inch draw. All the fixed heads penetrated about half way the arrow. The Steelhead buried to the fletching. That sold me and my friends. We used them last year and had complete pass throughs on every deer we shot. One of my friends shoots a 60lb bow with a 27 inch draw and got complete pass throughs on 3 deer. (One at 35 yards) He is sold for life on them now. Don' t let anyone tell you that all expandables are the same. Try a Rocket Steelhead and see the difference.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t think there is a " best" mechanical for everyone. If you give me the specs on your setup, I can recomend some I feel would suite your indivdual needs better than others. What is your KE level and what exactly are you looking for preformance wise?
Old 04-11-2003, 07:14 AM

Yep. The amount of energy you' re putting into it is the most important factor. If you have well over 60 ft-lbs of KE, you could shoot the Vortex 3 blade with a 2" cut. I shoot them and they are an awesome head.

If you are on the lighter side of the KE equation, go with the Rocket Steelheads as stated above. They are a well designed and tough broadhead and their smaller cut provides plenty of penetration.

There are other good choices out there, but these would be my two picks.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:48 AM

5shot,

I am relatively new to bowhunting so I have no idea how to figure out my KE level. My setup is this, i have a 30 in draw, i use 2117 easton gamegetters (aluminum), the shoot at 70 lbs, my bow is 32" axel to axel, with a 7.5" brace height. I hope this helps, but if not could you tell me how to figure my KE level and I will do that and then let you know. Thanks

Old 04-11-2003, 09:43 AM

Micdundee , You should go by a pro-shop and shoot your arrows through a chronograph ( to establish arrow speed) and have them weigh your arrows to see how many grains they weigh. Then take the information and figure your KE :

arrow weight(grains) x arrow speed x arrow speed = KE

There are some programs that can help if you don' t have access to a chrono, but your going to have to know A LOT about your set up ! :

I' d go by a shop ! And if your bow is well tuned and your shooting under 270 fps ......I' d go with fixed blades !
Old 04-11-2003, 10:11 AM

the IBO speed for my bow is 303.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:35 PM

There are a lot of variables .....so this is strictly a guess but I believe you' ll be shooting about 231 fps and your arrow if it has a 100 grn point ,vanes, @ 29" will be about 519 grns . This should give you about 61 # of KE which is enough for mechanicals. But like I said......at those speeds why would you want expandables ? Fixed blades should fly just like your field points , provided your bow is well tuned !
I like Spitfires a lot , but I went to them because I had a hard time getting fixed blades to fly good at 290 + fps ! At 260-265 fps I can get fixed blades to stack all day long !
If you want to play around with numbers go to bowjackson.com and you can probably come up with some close numbers for your equipment !
Old 04-11-2003, 07:45 PM

As stated before, it depends on your setup. My KE is 67. I have shot Rocket 75 grain Miniblasters completely thru elk, antelope and Javelina, all dying within sight. Last year I had a 100 grain Snyper completely pass thru a bear. The bloodtrail was a good 8 inches wide The Snyper is a great head for lower KE setups because it doesn' t use up the energy to open the blades like so many other heads do. But, it isn' t a 3 blade head.

CBM, why would anyone want to use expandables at lower poundages? Because they do devastating damage like no fixed head is capable of.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

well with the information provided I would agree your probably getting around 60 ft/lbs of energy. Now provided your bow is tuned well, you will have a lot of choices in heads. You can shoot any fixed blade head you want without trouble. For mechanicals I would stick to heads of 1 1/2" or less cutting diameter and no more than 3 blades. Some heads I higly recomend are the Rocket steelheads, Rocky Snypers, New archery products Shockwaves, and Rocket nail drivers. There are others that are also excellent but those would be my favorites. Some new heads are comming out this year and several look to be excellent. The new Rocky gator XPand New archery products Scorpion are two mechanicals that come to mind. The Rocky Gator which I tested a while back turned out to be my favorite mechanical head, but I am shooting close to 70 ft/lbs of energy. You can go to www.broadheadtests.com and see my review of them as well as some tips on picking the right broadhead for your setup.

Quick Reply: 3 blade mechanical broadhead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.