Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need some arrows??

Old 12-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Spike

Default Need some arrows??

I just purchased the 2008 marquis, and I need some new arrows. The bow hasn’t been set up for me, but I am pretty sure that I will be shooting 29” draw at 65-70 lbs. I use a mechanical release and most likely will be purchasing a drop away rest with a trophy ridge sight. What type of arrow should I look into and what grain should I shoot. I want to be able to blow through deer, but still be quick enough so they don’t jump the arrow (which has happened in the past).

any insight will be helpfull
Old 12-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need some arrows??

You want a 340 spine arrow.

but still be quick enough so they don’t jump the arrow
There is no bow on the market thats gonna produce the speed needed to stop a deer from jumping the string.

The trick is to get the bow as quite as possible.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some arrows??

Please get one thing straight. Deer do not jump out of the way of an arrow because it is too slow. They crouch in preparation to run because they are reacting to some kind of noise that you or your bow made at the shot. So in this sense there is not a bow made that can shoot an arrow faster than a deer can react to that noise. Get your bow as quiet as humanly possible. That usually means giving up a couple fps.

Any bow made today is plenty fast to hunt with. In fact, they were fast enough when they only shot 200 fps back in the '70s. So don't think more speed is the answer.

As for blowing right through deer. You can blow right through deer with as little as 40# with modern bows. You just have to have well tuned equipment, good arrow flight, sharp broadheads, and a well placed shot. Again, all the speed in the world cannot make up for ugly flying arrows or a crappy hit on a shoulder bone or any other heavy bone.

Now, getting down to an arrow choice. OK you're going to shoot a 65-70# bow with a 29" draw. If the arrow is 29" or less and the bow is 65# then you should be able to shoot a 340 spined arrow. 29" or more and around 70# I'd recommend something with a 300 spine.

Choose good arrows properly spined, as I mentioned and any arrow should be heavy enough to be able to humanely hunt with, but yet light enough to generate suffiicient speed. Speed should sill be good enough that trajectory isn't much of an issue within normal hunting ranges. Maybe if you shoot out around 40 yards it might make a difference, but for out to 30 yards there's not a whole lot of difference if the bow is 15-20 fps slower than with a superlight arrow.