Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Starrflight FOBs

Old 11-15-2008, 11:27 AM

Default Starrflight FOBs

Ordered a dozen of these new-fangled FOBs (Fletching-Only Better), since I'm always looking for something new, and I like experimenting. The science behind them is good, so I thought I'd give them a shot. Well, after about 50 shots, I'm convinced they're at least as good as fletching. I like the fact they pop off after a shoot-through, and it's easy to replace them once they do. I'm shooting a PSE XForce TS (29" draw length, plus string loop, 67.5 pounds), and with the Easton Nano 340 (27-inch arrow, 100 grain head, 9.5gpi) am averaging 301 fps with a fletched arrow. With my Trophy Taker rest (the full containment one), I had no clearance problems, and got great flight. Very easy to tune to your broadheads, too. I like the fact it's at the very back of the arrow, which theoretically at least, should provide the best steering and stability for the arrow. $20 for a dozen seems a bit expensive, but when I figured up the price of fletching, glue, fletching jig, and whatnot, it's actually much less expensive. They did seem a bit noisier than fletching (about like feathers), but not excessively so. They probably won't completely replace fletching for me, but they are a worthy purchase, and a nice supplement to my arsenal.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Starrflight FOBs

ORIGINAL: Warden41272

Ordered a dozen of these new-fangled FOBs (Fletching-Only Better), since I'm always looking for something new, and I like experimenting. The science behind them is good, so I thought I'd give them a shot. Well, after about 50 shots, I'm convinced they're at least as good as fletching. I like the fact they pop off after a shoot-through, and it's easy to replace them once they do. I'm shooting a PSE XForce TS (29" draw length, plus string loop, 67.5 pounds), and with the Easton Nano 340 (27-inch arrow, 100 grain head, 9.5gpi) am averaging 301 fps with a fletched arrow. With my Trophy Taker rest (the full containment one), I had no clearance problems, and got great flight. Very easy to tune to your broadheads, too. I like the fact it's at the very back of the arrow, which theoretically at least, should provide the best steering and stability for the arrow. $20 for a dozen seems a bit expensive, but when I figured up the price of fletching, glue, fletching jig, and whatnot, it's actually much less expensive. They did seem a bit noisier than fletching (about like feathers), but not excessively so. They probably won't completely replace fletching for me, but they are a worthy purchase, and a nice supplement to my arsenal.
i think ill keep my fletchings becasue i dont want to replace my whisker biccuit
Old 11-18-2008, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Starrflight FOBs

Test done have shown the noise comes off the back of the FOB due to the the air decompressing from the ring wing of the FOB. The sound is projected straight back.

Nice review. The only thing I suggest is that you get a Zwickey Eskimo 2 blade and shoot it. That is were these things shine!!