Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Need help on some advice for a friend.. >

Need help on some advice for a friend..

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need help on some advice for a friend..

Old 10-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need help on some advice for a friend..

Ok...he just brought it in. He went with the used 82nd AB. He ended up with the bow, drop zone rest, octane quiver, 1/2 dozen gold tip 5575 arrows with 100 grn practice tips, doinker type stabilizer, and a tru ball release for 850.00.

I have to admit, the draw cycle is harsh since I'm used to the smooth mods on my tribute, and I hope the whole brace hieght issue doesn't hurt him too much.....but all in all I think it was a decent deal, and should be a great bow.

GH
Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 AM

The 82nd is one bad ass bow. It is surprisingly smooth for it's specs, but that's not saying much. I would not recommend an 82nd to anyone that does not have a fair amount of experience at the very least. The Allegiance is a much better choice.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without having any personal experience with any of those mentioned I'd probably steer him toward a new bow, especially if it's cheaper. The fact that he'd have to set it up is relatively unimportant. The accessories might be on the used ones, but he'd probably still have to move things around and retune them for his shooting style.

As for any A2A difference? Being a new shooter I'd steer him toward something a little longer and/or a higher brace height. Something with a little more forgiveness. I know everybody these days think shorter is better from a treestand, but frankly a couple inches isn't going to make that much difference.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Check out the new Diamond Ice Man. That might be the right bow for him.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 PM

i have both bows yur talking about and if it were up to me to have to pick one id go with the ally....my 82nd isawesome but has been a bit finicky
Old 11-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

I am gonna go out and go against everything here.
tell him to check out the Diamond rock.
I know it isnt a bazillion fps, but it is still rated at 318. Plenty fast.....
very smooth draw cycle, single cam, so he wouldnt have to worry about timing issues or cam lean, which being a new archer, he probably wouldn't notice for a while.
It has a higher brace hight, which is condusive to a frienlier shooting bow, and altough it is a short ata bow, it is fairly friendly regarding hand torque etc.
to top it off he could have that bow set up with top of the line accessories for less than a used 82.