Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Another Rage Broadhead Muckup >

Another Rage Broadhead Muckup

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Another Rage Broadhead Muckup

Old 10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another Rage Broadhead Muckup

I just got back from a 4 day hunting trip in central Illinois, I think the rut is a week behind this yearas theprimary scrapeshave notstarted to open up yetin that area and they usually have by nowbut I digress... Anyway,as I've stated in the past, I'm a fixed head broadhead advocate, my best friend shoots 2 blade Rage heads and on Saturday nightthe Rage head cost him a 150+" class whitetail.

I tried Rage Broadheads after Chuck Adams endoresed them and quickly gave them away because they come open all the time, even in the quiver. I guess Chuck couln't say no to the payday? Anyway, my buddy was hunting a river bottom on Saturday night and a thick ten pointer came though at 15 yards, he drew when the buck went behind a tree just before it got into his shooting lane and one of the blades popped open becasue he drew so hard due to the adrenaline in his bloodstreamthat when he hit the wall on the draw realhardthe bladefell open. He has an overdraw (as do most of us)so he tried to let the bow back in but the blade got caught in the gap between the arrow rest and bow, he couldn't fire or let the bow down and the buck walked right through his shooting lane, he said it was such a close shot that he almost fired but backed off at the last second out of fear of his arrow exploding (wise choice). Anyway, he finally got the blade unstuck after jiggling his drawback and forth but he said his arm was like jelly. He said he was sick when he glassed the buck as it had already passed as it was a real toadbut it wouldn't come back into a grunt or a rattle. I told him on Saturday night that if this wasn't a sign to switch broadheads than I don't know what is.

I wassore at him tooas I was going to hunt that spot but he was whinning so I let him godown there,if I would have been there, I'd have drawn myarrow tipped with a slick trick and that buck would be butchered and in my freezerby now.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:42 PM
BFR
Spike

Default RE: Another Rage Broadhead Muckup

Ouch. Having moving parts in a broadhead is asking for trouble. Tuff lesson.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 PM

Different strokes for different folks,

I agree they do pop out in the quiver if you shove them to far in.
But flopping out if you draw to hard?

This makes me think the blade was not seated good behind the o ring after he was in the stand or the ring was pinched.

Yes i kinda like the 2 blade rage, but have my problems as well with them.
But, if it keeps up i will move to using my Shuttle Heads.
I want to try those slick tricks you speak as well, just not this year.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

total user fault. he should have moved his orings or checked them before he went out I know your a rage hater and thats cool but if he would have simply made sure his equipment was ready that wouldnt have happened. and i presume you will say it dopler so i will say it for you b/c i agree, If he would of had a fixed blade that would not have happened. True... but you can only blame part of it on the equip. he still shouldve been more cautious about it. and you being his buddy, could have forewarned him (im sure you did) so this didnt happen. oh well, maybe mechanicals arent meant for some people[:-] you live and you learn i guess, im sure he wont let that happen again.

btw, i feel for you about not hunting there. ive had that happen a couple tiimes too when my friends quite possibly busted my chance at killing a monster.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I just don't get why people are willing to deal with things like this in something as important and simple as a broadhead .

You have to check to see if the blades are seated tight against the o-ring.
You have to double check after you pull one out of thequiver cause the foam may have caused the blade to open.
You have to triple check if youbrush itagainsta twig and bumped the blades loose.
You have to check to make sure the o-ring isn't worn or old cause it won't hold the blades tight enough to keep them closed.
You have to throw them away after a single use because the roll pin gets loose.
ETC... ETC...

Get a good fixed balde head and be done with it. If you must shoot a mechanical get something like a Rocket steel head, NAP spit fire, Wasp Jackhammer.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 AM

I've seen some impressive holes with Rage heads, but I've also seen threads like this one; they are not for me.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

amen.

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I just don't get why people are willing to deal with things like this in something as important and simple as a broadhead .

You have to check to see if the blades are seated tight against the o-ring.
You have to double check after you pull one out of thequiver cause the foam may have caused the blade to open.
You have to triple check if youbrush itagainsta twig and bumped the blades loose.
You have to check to make sure the o-ring isn't worn or old cause it won't hold the blades tight enough to keep them closed.
You have to throw them away after a single use because the roll pin gets loose.
ETC... ETC...

Get a good fixed balde head and be done with it. If you must shoot a mechanical get something like a Rocket steel head, NAP spit fire, Wasp Jackhammer.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Spike

I take my rage tipped arrows out of my quiver..check the blades...put the arrow on my rest...and wait...then shoot..then follow a blood path not spots...ive killed five deer the last two years with this set-up..no problems from me (one buck in the rain..i learned to appreciated the large holes)

Old 10-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Here was my one and only RAGE shot, stripped the blades and rollpin right off.[:@]A .280 hole did not leave much of a blood trail. Found one of the blades with hair and no bllod. Had a drip drip blood tail for about 100 to 150 yards, then dried up. Will find out if there Guaranteeis any good when I get a chance to call them. Real shame. I want my $39 $$$$$ back.

TBF (Total Broadhead Failure)[:@]

Old 10-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is terrible. I gurantee they will fix the problem but if/when ever i have an experience like that i am through with them. I will stick with the 3blades b/c i cant recall anyone on here even having trouble with them and i or anyone i personally know has never had troubles with the 3blades either.
Derek

Quick Reply: Another Rage Broadhead Muckup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.