Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Sonic heads

Old 10-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sonic heads

Anybody else use em? I think theyre one of the best and most underated heads out there . I used the 125gr last year and got great penatration and blood trails on two deer including a complete pass through on a shoulder shot 168lbs (dressed) buck. This year Im using the 100 gr and man, these things fly great.

Ive heard on other forums ,people saying theyve had problems w/ blades falling off or peeling back but I suspect they were not tightening the locking collar enough.

I would recommend these to anyone whos have problems getting their heads to fly good but dont want to switch to mechanicals.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sonic heads

They did very well in my tests. Strong, sharp, accurate and they penetrate very well.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

I have not test them on game, but I got one of the sample that they sent out. I tried shooting it into newspaper and card board and had the blades curled up. I'm not sure if I want to use them on game.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

I switched to the 100 grain Buckmasters.. No success with them in game but we did a antelope archery hunt and we did let loose a few arrows that didn't hit the mark due to bad range estimates and twitchy animals.. in any case the heads stayed together when recovered from terra firma.. And some terra was pretty firma, like rocks.. Expected edge damage but the heads stayed together. I am fully confident that they will do as expected..

Oh and they fly well.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: yajsab

I have not test them on game, but I got one of the sample that they sent out. I tried shooting it into newspaper and card board and had the blades curled up. I'm not sure if I want to use them on game.
Yes this will happen but only if the blades are not very tight , you must hold the blades in a BH wrench and tighten the lock collar w/ pliers.

Here is the buck I shot last year w/ a 125gr sonic. Blasted through both shoulders and shaft buried about 12'' in the rocky dirt behind him, all blades intact!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

The Sonics performed excellent on the 3 deer I took with them 3 years ago. The last two seasons I have been using SlickTricks, but wouldn't hesitate to put a Sonic in my quiver ever. Great little broadhead.