Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New Bow

Old 08-30-2008, 05:06 PM

Default RE: New Bow

In NY, the dealers are pricing the DXT at $850, and the Hoyts and Bowtechs at $799. Thank God my guy takes care of me.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

There are no "bad" bows built nowadays. Check out as many as you can. Have you considered a used bow? Ask around at some shops, a lot of times the owners know some guys looking to unload a bow and you may stumble on a killer deal......and the shop owner will be still work on it for you if it was a bow he originally sold. If you can do your own bow work, thereare usually some decent deals on archerytalk.com. I landed afew there myself, and was very pleased with my purchases.

Mission bows are nice, nothing wrong with them for a hunting rig.I fired one and thought it was good enought to shoot deer with. Hoyt just released a "mid priced" '09 pair of bows, the Hawk series I believe. They go for 499, and 599 each.

Most importantly, buy from a good shop that can actually help you set it up and assist you with future tune ups and repairs. Stay away from the department store bow counters.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

I would say browse the Classifieds.
there are so many people here that buy new bows every year. Reps and all. You could find a smokin deal on an 07 bow and i dont think you will be disappointed in anything.
Just about anything you get will be a learning curve, and probably feel a bit odd to you or uncomfortable. Just take your time and shoot it, you will get used to it. most of the guys on here have never really stopped shooting what they like, so of course they are going to have a preference.
There is absolutly no need to spend 850 on a bare bow.

I would say if you want to start on new stuff, Check out the bear line up. they have some smokin bows for great deals.
Diamond makes "The rock" which is a pretty nice bow for the money, The missions are not bad either!!
I happen to love parker bows too and they are always reasonably priced!! And of course you cant go wrong with a Martin. every one I have shot has been really smooth and really shock free.
Go out and sling some arrows. have fun with it. Shoot with your eyes closed up close and get a feel for the bow.
Good luck man.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Spike

About 4 years ago I went to my closest Mathews dealer with a $1000 in my pocket. I could not decide on the right bow for me.. I closed my eyes and walked down the line and drew every bow not knowing what I had in my hand. when I picked up the right bow for me i knew it instantly.

I walked out of the store with a Ben Pearson bow... you couldn't have given me that bow before I held it in that lineup with my eyes closed. That is a purchase I have never regretted.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

lotta good ones out there some pricey others just about right...shoot first and ask questions later as others have advised..whats good for me mite not be good for you. your money your call