Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 A REALLY GOOD HUNTING RELEASE ?? >

A REALLY GOOD HUNTING RELEASE ??

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

A REALLY GOOD HUNTING RELEASE ??

Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A REALLY GOOD HUNTING RELEASE ??

Since you are using a string loop I completely reccomend a Scott silverhorn.
http://www.scottarchery.com/products/silverhorn.tpl

Lightning quick hook up with out having to look at the loop to make sure the jaws grabbed around the string and is fully adjustable for length.
High polished stainless steel hook for absolutely zero loop wear.

You might look at it and think that the hook will pull off the loop. I did too at first and had to test this several times whenI first started using mine.I can assure you that it will not come off the loop. The release has to be moved to almost a 90 degree angle to the loop before it will come off.

IMHO this is one the absolute best hunting releases for a string loop shooter.

I have the sabertooth as a back up release to my silverhorn.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a bunch of them over the years and for the last 4 years I have been shooting the Tru-ball stinger. It's there least expensive model, but it's very simple, reliable, and durable. Lucky for me it's also not expensive as I always have a spare or two for those "just in case" moments.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:38 AM

Hey NamaBuck30 . . . good advice on the buckle thing. I'll make surew and try it at the store.
One reason to get away from my grip release, the jaws would not open last fall with a bull elk just 37 yards from me! So I could not put the release on the loop!!!. Man I'm freakin' out. Had I been thinkin', I should have just done a finger pull. I've never practiced that, but would have probably done the trick. Come to find out, some sap had gotten on the jaws and were "glued" shut! So I'm leaning towards some type of hook design like the Silverhorn.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ron2028

Have been using a Fletchhunter Release (Concho Style)for about 25 yrs; and want to upgrade to something better for hunting. I shoot with a D-Loop [made of string]; bow is 38" axle to axle [a short compound bow].There are, as you all know, so MANY releases on the market that selectionbecomes very difficult.Based on your experience, I would greatly appreciate your recommendations & thoughts on this.Thank you much.
I have a Scott plain double caliper release that I've shot for a long time; probably 15 years now. I don't even remember what the model was called when I bought it but it could be a Shark model. Its all rusty and ragged looking, but still works silky smooth like the day I got it. Can't help you with their new models, but I know they last and they've probably only gotten better. If it were to break today, I'd buy another Scott. It doesn't owe me anything anymore; that's for sure.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

I used a scott caliper for over 15 years and last year had to bite the bullet and I bought the new scott shark and love it.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

I think releases are a very personal choice, some guys like this, some guys like that. Try several is my opinion.
I prefer a Tru-Fire Team Real Tree Power Strap
Old 07-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The truball Copperhead is a very nice release that has a lot of adjustment.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot with one of my buddy's releases last year during target practice, a Scott Silverhorn. That thing is pretty smooth once you get used to it. I use a tru-fire, and after a dozen or so shots with that Silverhorn, it actually tightened up my groups a pretty good deal. I was surprised. It's a nice one, but I think it's a little pricey.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Fletcher Free Flight
Old 07-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best thing to do when purchasing a release is to shoot as many as you can.

There is a vast difference in releases, feel, trigger adj., trigger crispness, etc.

There are many that believe they are shooting a great release, but put a few different ones in their hands and their opinions may change drastically.

Dan

Quick Reply: A REALLY GOOD HUNTING RELEASE ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.