HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Did I buy a complete piece of crap? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/244919-did-i-buy-complete-piece-crap.html)

zachw 05-04-2008 06:16 PM

Did I buy a complete piece of crap?

I bought a Parker bow not too long ago. It's the first bow I have ever owned and it was cheap to start out with. Im an avid rifle hunter and all I heard anyone talk about was "Man... if you ever kill one with a bow... youll never want to pick up that gun again." So.... I am givin it a try. It seems pretty accurate and pretty quiet. Does anyone have any opinion on Parker bows or know of any disadvantages?

cjohnson664 05-04-2008 06:22 PM

RE: Did I buy a complete piece of crap?

I know the older parker bows were nice I have a buddy that has one and used it the last 5 years, but he said the ones you that the big stores are selling the last couple of years are not half as nice.

MOhunter46 05-04-2008 06:32 PM

If you like it and it shoots good for you then it's not a peice of crap.

Roskoe 05-04-2008 07:17 PM

Exactly. Just because someone who shoots a Mathews, Hoyt, or Bowtech refers to your bow as a "piece of crap" shouldn't shame you into purchasing something else. If it shoots good and is quiet, it will work at crunch time. A big part of bowhunting is confidence. Don't let yours get weakened with a snooty comment or two.

mohunter82 05-04-2008 07:17 PM

most of the newer bow have some great technology. it is def a great bow to start out with. i started out with an old PSE from 1982 so your already doin better than me.

Austin/WI 05-05-2008 08:28 AM

I have always shot Parker and love them. I think they're hard bowsto beat for the price. You don't hear a lot about them, but that's only becuase Parker doesn't advertise a whole lot.

bigcountry 05-05-2008 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: zachw

I bought a Parker bow not too long ago. It's the first bow I have ever owned and it was cheap to start out with. Im an avid rifle hunter and all I heard anyone talk about was "Man... if you ever kill one with a bow... youll never want to pick up that gun again." So.... I am givin it a try. It seems pretty accurate and pretty quiet. Does anyone have any opinion on Parker bows or know of any disadvantages?
Just about any compound one buys over 150 dollars can easily kill deer out to 30 yards. Its the indian behind the bow that insists on instant 2" groups at 40 yards that needs work. It can take several years to develop good form and consistent shooting.

If your hitting the vitals of a 3d target out to 30 yards, then its a good bow.

Snood Slapper 05-05-2008 04:07 PM

Parker makes a good bow; don't sweat it.

monster10rackstack 05-05-2008 04:35 PM

dont worry about it a Parker is a good bow. In fact I'm in the process of getting a Blackhawk

Austin/WI 05-05-2008 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: monster10rackstack

In fact I'm in the process of getting a Blackhawk

Drooling right now ...That is such a sweet shooting bow, not to mention the thing just looks dead sexy too!!:D;)

Kamil 05-06-2008 04:51 AM

i started out with a parker hornet a few years ago...it shot great

trestand 05-06-2008 05:28 AM

You have'nt mention where you bought it from.Did you get at a big box store or a pro shop?My first bow was a Parker Hunter-Mag,so I have a soft spot for them.However,the top of the line Parkers are just as much in cost as all the top manufactors bows.When I got mine it was a very good bow,with no frills,at a much more reasonable cost....Bob

Wyvern Crossbow 05-06-2008 06:46 AM

I have been selling Parker fora couple ofyears now...the new 08 models are right up there with other manufacturers and are priced right( the Black Hawk is SWEEEET!!). I have a few people that have switched from some very big name manufacturers this year and they are VERY impressed. They are also a great company to deal with and stand behind their product...no worries there...:)

Wyvern

Soilarch 05-06-2008 11:32 AM

Here's what alway gets me about threads like this. (This "inferior-bow" complex is common.)

There are plenty of guys out there who kill multiple deer every year with a wooden bow they made themselves. So saying a non- Mathews/Hoyt/Bowtech bow isn't up-to-snuff is absurd. Secondly, nobody needs a 320fps arrow shot from a "smooth" bow. That's just icing on the cake. (A lot of times it's very expensive icing!) I think a guy who really knows his parker/martin/bear/etc. and knows some of the basics about tuning and shooting form can out-shoot a shooter with a $1200 rig and the same amount of skill any day of the week.

Don't buy into "more is better" and learn how to set YOUR bow up for YOU...and you'll be leaps ahead with money in your pocket.

Grandviewer 05-06-2008 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Exactly. Just because someone who shoots a Mathews, Hoyt, or Bowtech refers to your bow as a "piece of crap" shouldn't shame you into purchasing something else. If it shoots good and is quiet, it will work at crunch time. A big part of bowhunting is confidence. Don't let yours get weakened with a snooty comment or two.
Right on Roskoe. He's on the ball or the bulls eye as usual, there's alot of archer know-it-alls around and have fun with that Parker and your friend told you right, once you kill onewith a bow you'll be a bowhunter for life. ;)

yajsab 05-06-2008 04:09 PM

If you can stick your arrow where you want it, it's not a piece of crap. Go have fun and good luck.

RLoving1 05-06-2008 05:48 PM

Sounds like you got a winner for a first bow! Good price and nothing negative said and you say you shoot it well! Sounds like time to practice and have fun.A so called piece of junk your confident with beats a high dollar bow you can't shoot anyday! Congrats on the first bow!;)

redneckhntr 05-07-2008 08:21 AM

Parker is not a crap bow they are known for their quality and dependability and many people swear by them so it should be a great starter bow for you.

live2Draw 05-09-2008 08:14 PM

Parker Bows are some of the best out there for the cash. I think that they could easily sell them in the next price point up. They are smooth, really quiet and accurate. what more could you want. And all that cash you saved from avoiding the Big money rigs you can buy more arrows!! lol

bigbulls 05-09-2008 09:47 PM

I don't think they are making rude comments. What I get that they are saying is that once you make your first bow kill you will be hooked like the rest of us and will not want to hunt with a rifle again.

BTW, Parker makes a great bow andthey have awesome customer service.

Hoytrocks 05-14-2008 08:34 PM

I think whatever bow is comfortable for the price range you can afford to start with is a great bow. I happen to like the Hoyt Katera XL...It shoots well for me...liked it the best. They should make you shoot these bows blindfolded or remove the name so you don't make a name choice.

907Alaska 05-15-2008 12:55 AM

My brother-in-law has a Parker Trailblazer...and it's a sweet shooter....use what fits...don't worry about alot of bow hype.

57whiteram 05-15-2008 02:08 PM

I agree that you shouldn't worry about the name on the bow. If you like it and you shoot it well; that's all that matters!

daughenbaughredneck 05-15-2008 04:44 PM

i have always hated PSE bows. never felt that it was accurate until i found out it was just me. i shot plenty of does but when it came to the bucks i always missed. we blame the bow. but it was bowhunter shakes that got over me. Until this last year i shot my 11 point monster now i love PSE and would not part with it at all.
People use to kill deer with those 6 and 8 wheel monsters from the 70s so i guess it is all about what you want. but your first big deer you will love it too. Practice practice practice.

tr140 05-17-2008 07:08 PM

They have to be pretty good now days. Very competetive. If it is comfortable to you and quiet, don't be shy about buying it. Have heard good things about them.

Todd

Roskoe 05-17-2008 07:42 PM

One thing that's kind of odd about bows: there are some that have really sweet draw cycles but, for some reason, only group mediocre. And there are others that don't feel like anything special to shoot but nonetheless produce good groups. For me, the two came together in the Hoyt Vectrix XL. My buddy shot it the other day, however,and its just another bow to him.

Ed McDonald 05-19-2008 05:30 PM

I have a Parker Phoenix EZ-Draw and it's an excellent bow . I have killed several deer with it . I am not partial to any bow manufacturer . There are a lot of great bow companies out there !

Swift Arrow 05-21-2008 05:55 AM

Nope.

SouthernStrut56 05-23-2008 11:03 AM

How dare you? haha Nah Parkers are great bows, and like they've said, you can't beat em for the money. I bought a Parker Hornet two years ago and I'm still using it with extreme satisfaction. You'll love it! Good luck!

killzonearchery 05-23-2008 01:48 PM

They are real nice for the price. So no u did not buy a piece

Doegirl75 05-31-2008 09:59 PM

Although it's highly unlikely you'll need it, Parker's customer service is excellent. I had a Buckshot and a Challenger. I had to call tech support a couple of times. Each occasion, the guy on the other line took the time to walk me through what was going on and the issue(s) were resolved or it was made very clear what I needed to do.

Swift Arrow 05-31-2008 10:04 PM

The new Parker Raptor looks pretty sweet. I have a thing for parrallel limb bows. It's handle sort of mimics the Matthews with the wide grip.

907Alaska 05-31-2008 10:44 PM

There's just not many complaints with Parkers vs. alot of other bows....

kingvjack 06-01-2008 08:46 PM

By all means.... my PSE is a piece of crap...
It was built in
The paints wore off the edges of the limbs and the grip...
The edges of the cams are all tore up.
The let off isn't too much....
But that bow drives tacks against alot of newer bows. I'd love a new one but this bow is just flat shoots "FOR ME"
Its not my buddies bow.
Its not Dave Cousins bow
Its not even my dad's bow.
Find one that you can shoot well and kill with and don't worry about what other people spend their money on, they look nice, but thats about the gyst of it.

50omega 06-02-2008 03:28 PM

I've shot a PSE Baby G for3 years now. I bought a Mathews Switchback and hated it. I sold the Mathews for nearly nothing and I wouldn't trademy PSEfor anything. My first bow was a Browning rage and you want to talk a piece of crap but my sight NOW probably cost more than that whole bow.

Ben / PA 06-02-2008 06:49 PM

My first bow was a Browning rage and you want to talk a piece of crap but my sight NOW probably cost more than that whole bow.
My first was a Browning Timberwolf that ran me 135.00 brand new. It's scary but I think that my stabilizer is the only thing that costs less than that now.

wis_bow_huntr 06-06-2008 05:22 AM

Dont worry what other people think. I have shot some parkers and I like them. They make a good quality bow for the money. I can remember when parker used to be in the top 10 list. but that was when they advertised quite a bit. I know hunters that have been using them for years and wont buy anything else. You do not own a piece of crap ill tell ya that right now.