Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 LP Archery - Pro Light DX - Best toy I've gotten in a while! >

LP Archery - Pro Light DX - Best toy I've gotten in a while!

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

LP Archery - Pro Light DX - Best toy I've gotten in a while!

Old 04-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default LP Archery - Pro Light DX - Best toy I've gotten in a while!

I get a lot of toys to play with, but 99% of them are just OK. With that said...........I love this thing. It's the coolest gadget I have bought in quite some time. Before I go into more depth, I will say that this review is completely unbiased. I am not affiliated with LP Archery Products in any way whatsoever. I simply think it's an outstanding product and hoped that some others here can benefit from what I share here about about it. If you have a chance of putting a whitetail into the books, keep in mind that the P&Y books won't let you have a light. If you are the kind of person though that is looking for every product that shows you a measurable advantage on the 3D course or other types of target archery, this light is worth it's weight in gold. It would work exceptionally well in hunting conditions as well, but the P&Y restrictions may be a turn off to people.

It started months ago when I bought a used unit that was in really rough shape and didn't work right. I liked the concept enough that I just last week ordered another unit that was brand new for my 3D sight.

So this light basically has a couple of different features. At face value these features sound cool, but don't appear to give you any real advantage that would be measurable. In real life though I see several purposes to this thing that should present measurable results. I will expand on why I feel this way through this review.

So the main features of this thing are that it has 11 different brightness settings, and the light has an auto timer feature that you can program to shut off automatically at 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 seconds. It also can be set to shut off at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 minutes. Battery life is approximately 10-12 hours per set of batteries. The unit gives you multiple warnings as the batteries run low, and has awesome instructions for installation. In addition they have 9am to 11pm support hours to help you install the thing. The LED itself is available in 8/32 and 10/32 thread sizes.

The 11 different brightness settings are perfect for any type of lighting conditions. For those days when you are shooting 3D outdoors and you have a target in the sun, but your shooting stake is in the shade (common when shooting under a canopy on a sunny day) you can adjust it to the perfect brightness level to give you contrast against the target but no "sunburst" affect.

Now on to the most valuable feature IMHO. The timer settings. I have video taped myself through my shot sequence, and on my very best and strongest shots, I am about 16-18 seconds in the timing from just before I clip my release on the string till the time when my shot breaks. I have setup the timer at 20 seconds to auto shut off. During actual 3D tournaments I will likely shoot the timer on a 40 second interval (just so I dont' leave the batteries to die), but during all training, I have set the timer to 20 seconds. On those shots where my timing is off because I didn't setup right, and therefore didn't get into the target to the point of committing as quickly as I should have on an optimal shot setup, the light shuts off on me letting me know that window of time that my best shots break has passed. This is my signal to let down, and start over, reinforcing my training to have all of my shots break in that optimum window.

I really feel that this light will help to improve my shooting. I will journal my progress over the next few weeks and will update this thread once I have had a chance to put more time into this training. I do feel though that it will help me to eliminate more shots on the 3D course that miss due to poor timing/execution. Now I only need to figure out how to judge yardage a bit better.......[8D]

Hope this helps, and as an FYI.........this thing can be used and setup on pretty much any type of sight including a hunter class or MBR pins setup. You don't have to be shooting an Open Class setup to use this thing.

For more info, go to www.lparcheryproducts.com

View showing the LED where it threads into the top of my scope.

Showing the fiber. It's shown here under the highest brightness setting so the camera can pick it up. Normally you would select a brightness setting that doesn't sunburst and blur.

Pics showing the sight and where the power pack mounts.

One last thing...............for the hunters that bothered to read through this far. [8D]

The light has a second output from the power pack that allows you to add on an additional light that you can mount on the bow to use to light things up when walking to your stand.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: LP Archery - Pro Light DX - Best toy I've gotten in a while!

Matt.

I have almost the exact same set up as yours with the exception I use a down pin

Your summation of the sight light mirrors mine and add to that Larry is a top notch guy with great customer service.