Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Best Bone Crushing broad head for big bull elk >

Best Bone Crushing broad head for big bull elk

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Best Bone Crushing broad head for big bull elk

Old 02-26-2008, 12:43 PM

Default Best Bone Crushing broad head for big bull elk

Is it shuttle T lock 125
or G5s 125
or what?
At 50 yard and set up right what flies truer 125 grain or 100 grain?
In ballistic test the heavier bullet IE 51g verses 43 gr in 22 250 the 51 has better ballistics
Is it the same in broad heads?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:40 PM

Default RE: Best Bone Crushing broad head for big bull elk

The G5 Montec is going to be hard to beat for bone crushing penetration. They are about the most indestructable broadhead out there, and offer very superior penetration. Having said that, however, there are certain bones in a big game animal's body that no arrow is going to defeat. The ball/socket joint of an elk's shoulder will stop any arrow cold. Even from a 100 lb bow. The KE is still about in the same class as a .22 Magnum Rimfire. The idea is not to shoot at big bones, and wait for the broadside or quartering away shot where the biggest bone you will have to deal with is a rib.

I would also say that, at least in theory, a heavier broadhead is going to punch through tough stuff better than a lighter head. Many times the heavier head is wider, though - and may actually penetrate less than a narrower lighter head. Case in point . . . the 75 grain Muzzy.

There is obviously a FOC issue to consider as well . . . and considerations like what head weight is ideal for the rated spine of the arrow. Some folks are using very stiff arrows and gluing brass inserts in behind the regular arrow insert to beef up the FOC and increase penetration.

But most folks out here in elk country are shooting 100 grain heads, andmedium weightcarbon or aluminum/carbon arrows. And paying close attention to shot placement.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

You really need to rethink your logic here. NO broadhead is made for "bone crushing". They kill by slicing tissue, not crushing bone, especially on bigger boned critters like elk.

Bullets kill by imparting shock to an animal's system. And they do it by mushrooming to a larger than original diameter and sheading as much energy as possible inside the animal.

The only correlation between the two is that they are both most effective if placed in a vital spot, ie. the lungs, heart or liver. There are stories of lots of animals surviving and running around after having a leg blown off (bone?) which just proves that bone crushing power is not what is needed in hunting situations.

Let me state that this analogy does not pertain to dangerous African game.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Spike

A bone is a bone is a bone! Even a rib bone of an elk will wipe out a lot of the compitition. Most of your mechanicals can not stand up, Their blades bend and twist and loose penitration. The shuttleT locks say they that their blades will not come out or apart, however U would not have to wory about that with the G5.Montec. Both are exceptional fixed heads
Old 02-27-2008, 08:26 AM

Hit them right and there is no need to worry about bone crushing. For my 2 cents, I would say the G5 Montec would be an excellent choice.

If you do your home work and find the elk, the only bone crunching will be your knees from carrying the quarters on your back!!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

You really need to rethink your logic here. NO broadhead is made for "bone crushing". They kill by slicing tissue, not crushing bone, especially on bigger boned critters like elk.

Bullets kill by imparting shock to an animal's system. And they do it by mushrooming to a larger than original diameter and sheading as much energy as possible inside the animal.

The only correlation between the two is that they are both most effective if placed in a vital spot, ie. the lungs, heart or liver. There are stories of lots of animals surviving and running around after having a leg blown off (bone?) which just proves that bone crushing power is not what is needed in hunting situations.

Let me state that this analogy does not pertain to dangerous African game.
I agree with BGfisher steer clear of major bones. For a tough head you will have problems finding one tougher than the Slick Trick 125.

Dan
Old 02-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

For a tough head you will have problems finding one tougher than the Slick Trick 125.
My top pick as well. Best head made IMHO.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

G5 or slick tricks!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Another Slick Trick user for elk here.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:10 PM

What about muzzys those look almost identical to slick tricks? Are the slick tricks tougher? Most everone I know uses muzzys. I had never even heard of slick trick until a couple weeks ago when i was reading somthing on this website. Why do so many of you prefer the slick trick?

Quick Reply: Best Bone Crushing broad head for big bull elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.