Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 mechanicals vs fix blades >

mechanicals vs fix blades

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

mechanicals vs fix blades

Old 02-08-2008, 04:22 PM

Default RE: mechanicals vs fix blades

ORIGINAL: sbooy42

I tune my bow using fixed heads, Montecs & Slick Tricks, But when I go hunting I screw on Spitfires...
Why would you do that doesnt make sense you shoot fix heads because they shoot diffrent then practice tips but mechanicals shoot like practice tips so why
Old 02-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Fixed blades are always ready to go.

Mechanicals aren't.

Bottom line.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never found a deer that I hit bad with a fixed blade. Its all about shot placement...Expandables fly like field points (thats key for me)and make serious blood trails....I've taken 80 + whitetails in the last 15 years with expandables.....and some bears....no issues......

The moral of the story is....poke a hole in the vitals and whatever you shoot the animal will be dead...expandables allow me to leave my sights like they were with field points...and when I track a lung hit deer the thick blood trail leaves blood on my pants...thats when you know you made a lethal kill...have fun!! And ask an indian whether it matters...make hole in vitals...blood exits the animal....animal dies....!goodluck
Old 02-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: alwaysthikinghunter

I tune my bow using fixed heads, Montecs & Slick Tricks, But when I go hunting I screw on Spitfires...
Why would you do that doesnt make sense you shoot fix heads because they shoot diffrent then practice tips but mechanicals shoot like practice tips so why
If your Bow is properly tuned it doesn't matter what is on the tip.. fixed, mechs, & feildtips will all hit the same point of impact. MyTekans, Montecs, Slick Tricks,& Spitfires,all hit thesame asfeild points @60 yards....A couple people have mentioned moving their sights when switching to broadheads...IMO thats wrong, you should never have to move your sights when going to broadheads...If the broadheads are not hitting with FPs then the adjustments need to be made to the rest or nocking point...
Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are very few people that see as many animals killed in a year as an Outfitter, and there are several that will not allow mechanicals

I'll probably use Spitfires on Turkeys this Spring. I just hope it doesn't do too much damage. I really want A full size mount of a Merriam!

Dan
Old 02-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

There are very few people that see as many animals killed in a year as an Outfitter, and there are several that will not allow mechanicals

I'll probably use Spitfires on Turkeys this Spring. I just hope it doesn't do too much damage. I really want A full size mount of a Merriam!

Dan
Too much DamageI shot a tom last year with Spitfires and it did a lot of damage..Wasted an entire breast.. I thought for sure I wouldn't get a passthrough @ 50 yards ..."Wrong"..I think I'm going to try the NAP's gobbler getters to limit penetration...
Old 02-09-2008, 03:01 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: sbooy42

If your Bow is properly tuned it doesn't matter what is on the tip.. fixed, mechs, & feildtips will all hit the same point of impact.

Dumb if you dont sight in for what head your shooting its basic rule. Think about it how would a fix blade shoot the same as a practice tip i know there are some heads that are close but you should always sight in for what you shoot lazy if you dont.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: alwaysthikinghunter

If your Bow is properly tuned it doesn't matter what is on the tip.. fixed, mechs, & feildtips will all hit the same point of impact.

Dumb if you dont sight in for what head your shooting its basic rule. Think about it how would a fix blade shoot the same as a practice tip i know there are some heads that are close but you should always sight in for what you shoot lazy if you dont.
Umm,did youjust call me dumb and lazy? ..Lazy is not tuning your bow....Obviously you dont get it...Think about it?? Trust me I have... Please explain to me then how all my heads fixed, mech & feildpoints all hit the same spot @ 60 yards....
OH, and by practice tips do you mean feildpoints?..becasuemy practice tips are all the above...

Here this chart will help ya explain it....

Old 02-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

Fixed blades are always ready to go.

Mechanicals aren't.

Bottom line.
What do you mean that mechanicals aren't? My Rages are always ready!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

rick12 not to start nothing but just curious what was the cause of failure to find thewounded animals,the head probably did its job the hunter didnt.
i've shot many deer with vortex heads 2"cut and not one problem with pass-throughs using carroll intruder,high county max force,excalibur,and iron mace,and really old pearson spoiler.never a failure of these heads.all whitetails.this is just my expirience with mechanical heads, im sure some are different.
plain and simple mechanicals work, screw them on and hunt.i think i remember assembling them muzzys as i do my vortex, not always ready to go.
outfitters and anti mechanical hunters blames the head because they were mechanical, but they blame the hunter or just a poor hit if it was a fixed head.just the way i see it.

Quick Reply: mechanicals vs fix blades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.