Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Anyone have a tree saddle? >

Anyone have a tree saddle?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Anyone have a tree saddle?

Old 02-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone have a tree saddle?

I have had my Roadtrips tree saddle all of the 2007 season. I love mine. 5 shot and gzg38b left great posts and I do almost everything they advised. The part about putting your trap on steps all on one strap was a great idea that I will have to do. The biggest issue I have had while in the tree was wanting to lean back and relax. With the bunggie style chest harness it would just allow me to flop over backwards. At 260 pounds I carry alot of upper body weight. I solved the problem for me by going to newtribe.com and clicking on the store tab. From there I selected chest harness out of the list provided. I bought the harness with the padded back and then painted the material brown since it comes inyellow looking fabric. I hookit into my treesaddle strap with a very large carrabiner.This allows me to put all my weight into a recliningposition. If a deer comes along you will most likely have to unclip so you can draw accross your chest. With a gun it might actually give you a more solid shot. I have not used mine with a gun. When I get in that golden time frame when a deer will appear just before dark I go ahead and unclip anyway. I have had to unclip with deer under the tree and it has caused me no problems due to the fact that your chest area has good cover provided by the tree trunk.

Jim
Old 02-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone have a tree saddle?

This year I hunted out of a tree that had a split trunk. I hung in my saddle right in between the two trunks, with my back resting on the trunk behind me, in a seated position. It was the most comfortable I've ever been in ANY stand. The two trunks provided good cover in front and behind me. After about 4 hours, a doe came running by at 12 yards from behind me and to the left. A 7 point was on her tail and gave me a 12 yard shot to the left. I sent the arrow through his heart and watched him crash 150 yards later after an all out sprint.

Two days earlier, I took a button buck at 6 yards to my right. This deer actually sniffed my tree steps as I hung in my saddle 15 feet above him on a bare tree with no cover except the trunk itself. He never knew I was there. Granted it was a young dumb BB, but the point is you really can shoot in any direction with these tree saddles.

In three seasons, I've taken 5 deer from my treesaddle. All were bowkills. All were less than 15 yard shots. Only one was shot to the left, a natural bow shot. The others were from the right or behind me - shots that are difficult or impossible to make with other types of stands.

In three seasons, I've only been busted 1 time while in my saddle. And that was my fault. (A buck snuck up to 20 yds behind me on me as I was lookingin the other direction and he saw me move to hand up the binocs). I think that since you are so close to the trunk, with no platform or ladders sticking out from the tree, you blend in much better with the tree trunk. Also, you have the ability to hide behind the tree until you are ready to shoot. This really helps in not getting busted.